PDA

View Full Version : Silver Maple Bowl

Mike A. Smith
06-22-2007, 5:15 PM
I just got a new grinder and wolverine system. Since I finally had sharp tools again, I finally unwrapped some purchased wood that I promised I wouldn't touch until I had more experience. The wrapper said 'Silver Maple', my first time with it, the wood looked nice but nothing really special. But there was a surprise inside (at least to me it was).

The bowl is a shade over 5" x 3" and 1/4" thick. I'm still having some photo quality problems. The outside of the bowl is figured like the inside shot but it's washed out in the photo.

Finished with Watco Danish and Minwax wipe on poly.

Comments/critiques welcome...

Keith Burns
06-22-2007, 5:21 PM
Nothing to critique from where I set Mike. Form and finish both look good to me. Aren't sharp tools nice ?:) :)

Nancy Laird
06-22-2007, 5:23 PM
Very pretty, Mike. I like the rim treatment and that itty-bitty foot.

Nancy

Steve Schlumpf
06-22-2007, 6:06 PM
Beautiful bowl Mike! Very nice form and finish!

Bernie Weishapl
06-22-2007, 6:30 PM
Mike the bowl is a beauty. Nice form and finish.

Dennis Peacock
06-22-2007, 10:57 PM
Excellent bowl there Mike!!!! Good job and isn't it nice turning with sharp tools?!! :D

Tom Sherman
06-23-2007, 10:12 AM
That's a nice bowl Mike, you're on your way now let er rip.

Ken LaSota
06-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Mike nice job. I like the rim and foot treatment.
Ken

Mike A. Smith
06-24-2007, 1:19 AM
...isn't it nice turning with sharp tools?!!

Yes, much more fun! I had almost forgotten what my bowl gouge looked liked originally. I never thought I would get to the point where I would stop during turning to sharpen, but the Wolverine is so easy I just leave it set up and touch up before final cuts without even turning the lathe off. My results are much better now, of course I'm pretending that it's due to increased skill!

Christopher K. Hartley
06-24-2007, 7:38 AM
Mike, I like the form of this bowl, and just as Nancy commented on, the small foot. It has a nice flow to it in my opinion. Since you asked for a critique, let me offer this. I did notice in the first photo that there appears to be some small tear-out. It appears to be located in the lower center of the inside of the bowl. I have had this same challenge and am currently working on an elm bowl that has been a challenge as well. Sometimes all you can do is to continue sanding until it is out. I have found that power sanding is very helpful in these cases and if you have a reverse on your lathe that is beneficial as well. Overall I think you did a great job and look forward to seeing your future work.:)

Mike A. Smith
06-24-2007, 2:02 PM
Good eye Chris! Yes, I'm still having some trouble with tear out. It's better with the sharper tools, but I think the main problem is lack of patience. I'm trying to train myself to take lighter cuts. I can see where a reverse would be helpful, you can't feel it until you rub it the 'wrong' way. I just got my little PSI two months ago, but I see something bigger in my future.

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

Jerry Pittman
06-24-2007, 3:49 PM
Mike,
Very nice job. Isn't wonderful to turn with sharp tools?
Jerry

Vince Welch
06-24-2007, 11:35 PM
HI Mike,
Nice bowl and a neat shape! Sometimes using some of your Danish oil or even a bit of wax on those stubborn (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=KTK&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=stubborn&spell=1) areas then power sand can really help in getting those areas cleaned up. I think most of us have had stubborn areas to work out before.

Vince