PDA

View Full Version : Seeking suggestion for Festool Domino Dilemma

Glen Blanchard
06-22-2007, 2:48 PM
I want to cut a series of three mortises with the Domino. I'd prefer to use the pins to establish the proper spacing rather than marking with a pencil. Here is my problem. The spacing I need lies between the integral Domino pins and those of the cross stop (even in its closest position). Anyone have a solution to this?

Aaron Beaver
06-22-2007, 3:00 PM
I have heard of people using magnets to get the spacing they want.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=63636&d=1177944731

Kyle Stiefel
06-22-2007, 3:35 PM
I have heard of people using magnets to get the spacing they want.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=63636&d=1177944731

Glenn,

The magnets work wonderful. I have to say thanks to Jeff Wright who originally posted that idea. It is very slick.

Glen Blanchard
06-22-2007, 5:56 PM
Glenn,

The magnets work wonderful. I have to say thanks to Jeff Wright who originally posted that idea. It is very slick.

I guess I just don't quite get it. It makes sense if one is registering a mortise from the end (or side) of a board. However, I want to make 3 successive equidistant mortises. Once the first mortise is cut, the magnets would have to be of small enough diameter (<5 mm) to fit in the initial mortise for the next cut. The photo here clearly shows magnets of greater diameter than the pin. What am I missing?

Kyle Stiefel
06-22-2007, 7:29 PM
I guess I just don't quite get it. It makes sense if one is registering a mortise from the end (or side) of a board. However, I want to make 3 successive equidistant mortises. Once the first mortise is cut, the magnets would have to be of small enough diameter (<5 mm) to fit in the initial mortise for the next cut. The photo here clearly shows magnets of greater diameter than the pin. What am I missing?

Glen,

Yes, that is how I was using it by registering off the ends of boards. Now I am not sure how you are trying to cut your mortises? Do you have a photo which might help? I am sure there somebody here that has the answer, perhaps a Per or somebody.

Narayan Nayar
06-22-2007, 7:45 PM
Glen,

I understand how it might be preferable to use the pins to register the distance, but can I ask why you have an aversion to marking the piece and using the clear gauge on the fence or for registration? This is how I've done most of my Domino cuts and I have to say, I trust myself a lot more with that method than I ever did with a biscuit joiner. I have to--there's no slop in Domino mortises (unless you want there to be).

But yeah, you'd have to use some kind of intermediate spacer if you wanted to rely on the pins. Here's an idea: take a Domino and cut it across its width a bit more than halfway (i.e. standing on end, make it shorter). Then take a block plane or piece of sandpaper to a Domino to reduce its thickness enough so that it is removed easily. Then put that "thinned" Domino in a small drill press vice and drill a hole the same diameter as the pin on the Domino at the appropriate distance from the edge of the Domino. Put the domino pin in that hole, the domino in the first Domino hole you drill, and voila.

Does that make sense?

It'd basically be doing the same thing as the magnets, but it's probably a lot easier to take a block plane to a Domino for sizing than to a rare earth magnet. :)

Glen Blanchard
06-22-2007, 7:48 PM
Glen,

Yes, that is how I was using it by registering off the ends of boards. Now I am not sure how you are trying to cut your mortises? Do you have a photo which might help? I am sure there somebody here that has the answer, perhaps a Per or somebody.

I want to cut 3 mortises in a row on the same board. The second and third mortises are to be referenced off of the pin as it is placed in the first mortise, thus keeping the mortises equidistant from one to the next.

Kyle Stiefel
06-22-2007, 8:09 PM
I want to cut 3 mortises in a row on the same board. The second and third mortises are to be referenced off of the pin as it is placed in the first mortise, thus keeping the mortises equidistant from one to the next.

Glen now I understand and Narayan has a great solution.

But yeah, you'd have to use some kind of intermediate spacer if you wanted to rely on the pins. Here's an idea: take a Domino and cut it across its width a bit more than halfway (i.e. standing on end, make it shorter). Then take a block plane or piece of sandpaper to a Domino to reduce its thickness enough so that it is removed easily. Then put that "thinned" Domino in a small drill press vice and drill a hole the same diameter as the pin on the Domino at the appropriate distance from the edge of the Domino. Put the domino pin in that hole, the domino in the first Domino hole you drill, and voila.

:)

Glen Blanchard
06-22-2007, 8:16 PM
Glen,

Here's an idea: take a Domino and cut it across its width a bit more than halfway (i.e. standing on end, make it shorter). Then take a block plane or piece of sandpaper to a Domino to reduce its thickness enough so that it is removed easily. Then put that "thinned" Domino in a small drill press vice and drill a hole the same diameter as the pin on the Domino at the appropriate distance from the edge of the Domino. Put the domino pin in that hole, the domino in the first Domino hole you drill, and voila.

Nice idea. I'll give it a try. The problem I see is that the size of the hole (for the pin) will be about the same diameter as the thickness of the Domino itself. Worth trying though.

Narayan Nayar
06-22-2007, 8:54 PM
All you need is something which sets the pin a given distance from the edge of the hole. Even a convex edge (half the hole) on the Domino, or even just a flush edge would give you all you need to register the pin against. In fact, a flush edge might be easiest--if on your test cuts the spacing is off a bit, just shave a little more of that edge off.

Good luck!