PDA

View Full Version : Shop progress

Matt Meiser
01-12-2004, 9:01 PM
I made a little progress on the shop this week. My wife and I got two of the steel panels up so I can start installing the furnace. I also picked up the furnace and associated duct work and ordered my lighting.

A picture of the first ceiling panels is attached. The panels are 3'x16' and aren't very heavy, but were hard for us to manage due to their size and flexibility. My brother is hopefully coming this weekend to help me put up the rest of what I got. The lumber yard mis-ordered and I only got half of what I need so I'll have to finish the rest in a few weeks. The panels are attached with 1" self piercing screws which go in quick.

The second picture is of the furnace, which is a Beacon-Morris 75,000 BTU garage furnace. It is very similar to one of the Modine Hot Dawg heaters. One of the lumber yards chains around here (Carter Lumber) carries the Modine, the Beacon Morris, and one by Hamilton Home Products and sells them interchangably. I also had to get a kit to convert to propane, which I installed yesterday. The vent will go through the wall beside the furnace.

For lighting, I went with 14 8' High Output industrial fluorescent fixtures. They look similar to a typical shop fluorescent, but much better quality. For bulbs, I am going to end up using 4100K low CRI (60 something) tubes because of cost. It would have cost over $200 more for only marginally better bulbs, or REALLY big bucks ($600+) for the high CRI bulbs. I also would have needed more fixtures, driving the cost even higher. The lighting designer I was working with recommended using some 12" diameter incandescent fixtures with halogen bulbs over my main bench for accurate color reproduction.

Jim Becker
01-12-2004, 9:52 PM
Matt, check out what it would cost to rent/borrow a drywall lift for a day or half day to lift those panels up, position them and hold them while you drive the screws...as you mentioned, they are not heavy, but somewhat unwieldy. When I rented a lift a few years ago, it was only about $50 and the time savings was significant.

Nice job on the shop so far! Keep us posted.

Wes Bischel
01-12-2004, 11:38 PM
Matt,
I would second the drywall lift. Makes a world of difference in the hassle - and will prevent kinking any panels. If not the lift, make up a few deadmen out of 2x4's they will help keep the panels from squirming around and allow you to use two hands with the drill driver.

Wes

Terry Quiram
01-13-2004, 7:22 AM
I third the drywall lift. My son and I put up 1400 sq ft of 5/8 OSB on my shop ceiling. We put two up from ladders and promptly rented a lift.

Dave Miller
01-13-2004, 11:34 AM
Can I fourth the drywall lift? Me and a friend did my 768 sq ft garage in 5 hours with the lift. Wouldn't do it any other way.

Erik Sojka
01-13-2004, 12:02 PM
Hey Matt,

Can you tell me about how much those steel panels go for, and where you bought them? I'll be doing the ceiling in my shop soon, and I'd like to consider some alternatives to sheetrock.

Thanks,
Erik

Matt Meiser
01-13-2004, 8:41 PM
The panels are $1.55/ft, so my ceiling (29x31,20-16.5'x3' panels) is going to run just over $500.

I ordered them through a local lumber yard that sells a lot of pole barn materials.

Erik Sojka
01-14-2004, 6:45 AM
Thanks for the info Matt. Have fun with the new shop!
Erik