PDA

View Full Version : Need a hidden hinge

Rick Gibson
06-22-2007, 1:44 PM
I'm looking for a hidden hinge for the top of a box I am building. The sides are 3/4 inch thick and there is about a 3/4 inch overhang all the way around on the top so when open the overhang has to drop behind the box. The barrel hinges sold by Lee Valley look like they might do it but I can't tell for sure from the photo's. Anyone know or know of another hinge that would work.

Quinn McCarthy
06-22-2007, 2:13 PM
Rick

Try SOSS hinges. I Have used them for several project. They work great. I made a simple jig for routing out the mortise.

Hope that helps.

Quinn

Tim Sproul
06-22-2007, 4:24 PM
Yes, the barrel hinges will be hidden and will work. Since you describe this as a box, I'm assuming something fairly small with a lid that doesn't weigh 20 pounds by itself. Barrel hinges are not heavy duty. I recommend epoxying the hinges into their mortises.....wood expansion can loosen them and the little set screws don't have much power to expand the hinge into the mortise. Be sure to have a small round file on hand as you might need to give a bit more clearance in the mortise. The hinges are fairly fragile and don't do well being removed from their mortises often, especially if the fit is tight.

Another option are those hinges that fit into biscuit cutter slots or press-fit hinges.