PDA

View Full Version : OT - It's tough to turn when your kitchen looks like this

Patrick Taylor
06-22-2007, 12:08 PM
Here's our kitchen before and after the first day of remodeling. :eek: (No, I'm not doing it myself, sorry! :rolleyes: ) I'm actually not sure which is uglier...

Going out turn some pens actually made me forget (for a few minutes) about the logistical nightmare we'll be living in for the next few weeks!

Someone's signature says sawdsut is better than prozac... I sure hope so.

Bill Wyko
06-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Been there....done that:o I did that to my kitchen a couple years ago but I built my own kitchen and it took me a year:confused: What a PITB. I've since built another kitchen and it went a lot easier after learning from my mistakes. This fall, my BIL is going to build his first kitchen and I'll help him when I can. I'll be sure to post pics in the F-work forum. The great part though is that it sure is nice when it's done.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Someone's signature says sawdsut is better than prozac... I sure hope so.

Patrick.....I'm thinking you're fixing to find out if Frank's signature is truth or another internet rumor.:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Hang in there...You'll survive.

Robert McGowen
06-22-2007, 12:26 PM
The little chandelier looks nice.........:)

Larry Browning
06-22-2007, 12:50 PM
Looks to me like they made pretty good progress for just 1 day! Can't wait to see what day 2 brings!

Patrick Taylor
06-22-2007, 12:55 PM
The little chandelier looks nice.........:)

LOL, that and the faucet (which I put in 2 years ago) were the only pieces that we're keeping. The ceiling fixture is going elsewhere, but we didn't trash it.

This was Tuesday's work. Yesterday the demo was finished, and the electrical roughing is going on now. It'll be great to have a new kitchen but man, do I wish they were building me a new shop! Maybe SWMBO won't notice some extra mustard in the kitchen? A really big bottle, perhaps? :eek:

Nancy Laird
06-22-2007, 1:08 PM
Patrick, better get used to microwavable meals and carry-out! We did our own kitchen a few years ago and although it didn't take Bill's year, it did take several months, as LOML and I did all the work--after hours and on weekends.

But just think how great it will be when it's finished. Are you ripping out the soffit and taking the cabinets all the way to the ceiling (I hope)?? I've never figured out just what soffit is for.

Nancy

Bernie Weishapl
06-22-2007, 1:12 PM
Been there done that Patrick. Lots of eating out. Hang in there when it is done it will be worth it.

Patrick Taylor
06-22-2007, 1:17 PM
Are you ripping out the soffit and taking the cabinets all the way to the ceiling (I hope)?? I've never figured out just what soffit is for.

Nancy

Already gone. :D Apparently it's for running wires, plumbing and HVAC when installers are too lazy to drill through the joists. :rolleyes:

Things are a bit more cleaned up now, I'll share some updated photos tonight. Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

Perhaps the best part of this is that the honey-do list is pretty much set aside, and the kids are sleeping at grandma's a lot, so I can actually do a lot more turning!

Jim Becker
06-22-2007, 2:08 PM
Trust me, the cost savings of doing this work yourself if you can, will far outweigh the dust and time away from your lathe. I did the same in 2003, saved a bundle and still got "high-end" features...nice when both adults in the house love to cook.

Bruce Page
06-22-2007, 3:38 PM
I’m slowly working up the courage to do that….
I’m still several years away from getting started...:o

Be sure to post some after pic’s.

Frank Kobilsek
06-22-2007, 4:07 PM
Patrick,

I love my wife very much but we need a new Kitchen, it features some coppertone and harvest gold from the 70's. We have decided that next winter this job gets done. The difficult decision is which one of us will move away or be put in a comma while the process takes place. We are both, Done is Good kind of people. Either of us would be happy with whatever the other did but struggle to make the little decisions together. You know, does this pewter knob look better than that pewter knob? Good LUck.

The Sig line is my thoughts on this hobby. Without turning I suspect I would need chemical happiness. An evening in the garage making shavings washes away all the troubles of the world.

Again good luck and may your marriage be strengthen by this project.

Frank

Bill Boehme
06-23-2007, 2:50 AM
Looks like a nice little weekend project.

Ed Falis
06-23-2007, 8:59 AM
We finally decided to redo ours too. These are pics of cabinet parts from a couple of months ago before I went in for my operation. The piles are a bit bigger now. Been prefinishing the box parts during recovery. Soon it will be back to pre-assembly machining. Once we have them all assembled, we'll decide on when demo will be. The way we figure it, no rush until the kitchen is torn apart.

Brian Weick
06-23-2007, 10:19 AM
Get a hard hat and put it on your night stand , when you wake up in the morning - you will feel write at home! -LOL I have been working on mine for over 2 years - off and on- I don't have a lot of time due to my line of work so I do it in stages. The bathrooms were the first thing I really spend incredible amounts of time with.
It will get done- just remember there will be an end.
Brian

Dale Stagg
06-24-2007, 7:13 PM
I redid my kitchen 5 years ago and did them myself and kept the soffit or as we call them here, fur-down. It is small and made out of wood. It is a great place to use lighting(I used smaller can lights with halogen bulbs). This was first time I had ever seen this done, but probably isn't, I thought it would work great with lighting on the granite counter tops. I love it and is only 6" of lost cabinet space. I built them outside in shop, and after finished, tore out old and installed new. Was without kitchen for about 2 weeks only including new granite countertop install. All of the shelves in bottom cabinets are slide out shelves and lots of large drawers also. Makes life easier for future aging to occur on our bodies.

But just think how great it will be when it's finished. Are you ripping out the soffit and taking the cabinets all the way to the ceiling (I hope)?? I've never figured out just what soffit is for.

Nancy

Ed Falis
06-25-2007, 9:15 AM
Very nice, Dale. I do like your use of the soffets for lighting too.

Martin Braun
06-26-2007, 1:42 AM
That's insanely good work! The only drawback I can see, is it must be tough to clean the shower scum from the statue.

Brian Weick
06-26-2007, 10:10 AM
This bathroom is still not completed- It hasn't been used as of yet- as far as cleaning -it shouldn't be a problem - there is a light/fan combination in the small cathedral ceiling over the whirlpool. it is insane what I did with this bathroom- a little to much maybe but I enjoy doing this type of work. I understand kens frustration- do I ever.
Happy Turning
Brian

Brian Weick
06-26-2007, 10:13 AM
Nice Job Dale - well done- I Like the color of the cabinets and the ceiling appearance with the lighting.
Happy turning
Brian