PDA

View Full Version : Knock Knock

Frank Kobilsek
06-22-2007, 11:55 AM
Attn: Jet 1642 users. I think I am about to blow a spindle bearing. I have a increasingly noticable knock coming from the headstock. Anybody ever change the spindle bearing in a 1642? Tell me about it.

Please nobody tell me I shoulda never bought the Miracle Whip. I still like it but I think 'Joe' is sick, not terminal just sick.

Although this could be my chance to move up to a PM. There is a problem there too. I just got elected to the WMMA board of directors. WMMA, Woodworking Machinery Manufactuers of America promotes machinery and supplies made in America. So maybe I'll have to call Brent at Robust. After all one must put thier money where thier mouth is.

Frank

Andrew Harkin
06-22-2007, 1:37 PM
I had an issue with mine that at least sounds like it might be related. You may have already checked this, but if you open up the door to change belt position, there's a little collet there that engages the spindle lock button. It turns out that mine was a little loose, and throughout time had worked its way a little out of position and the notch for the spindle lock was bumping against something in there making a knocking sound. I believe it was just held on with allen head setscrews, so I just loosened them up and got it back in place.

Otherwise, never had to change bearings in mine. PS, mine is the 1.5 hp 110 model, not sure if they're all built the exact same or not.

Paul Engle
06-22-2007, 2:49 PM
cloged arteries.....my doc tole me no mor mayo ......

Frank Kobilsek
06-22-2007, 3:58 PM
Good one Paul

Andrew Thanks, I'll look at that

Frank

Christopher K. Hartley
06-22-2007, 4:13 PM
Frank, in the event that you do have to change the bearing it is not real difficult. The 1642 has much the same spindle setup as the 1442. I had my 1442 broken down numerous times for belt changes and the bearing out twice for a good cleanup.:)

Steve Schlumpf
06-22-2007, 5:13 PM
No problems with my 1642 yet - but will keep an eye on this thread just in case.

Reed Gray
06-22-2007, 11:22 PM
I have had a number of ticking sounds on my PM, and it wasn't the bearings. The pulleys and set screw came loose, and that made some noise. Another source is with the spindle lock. There are 2 positions on the spindle where the lock pin goes in, and a burr developed on the spindle where the pin engages. A little work with a file, and problem solved. The bearings did go once, and it was a completely different sound, and there was some runout on the spindle.
robo hippy

Bill Boehme
06-23-2007, 2:27 AM
When the bearings go south, they usually make a growling and rumbling sound. Anyway changing the bearings on most lathes is not a big deal unless you do something really dumb like try to hammer or pry them on or off. In many cases you can fabricate your own tools for removing bearings or pressing new ones on by using all-thread, nuts, washers, some PVC plumbing fittings, pieces of brass, etc. The idea is to put them on and remove them in a smooth and straight manner and make absolutely certain that you do not put pressure on the wrong race when doing it. For example, when putting the bearing on a spindle that passes through the center hole, do not press it on by applying pressure on the outer race. If you stick a spindle in the deep freeze for a few hours, the new bearing will usually drop into place with no effort ... just make sure that it is the right place or it may be stuck for good.

Bill

Terry Quiram
06-23-2007, 8:17 AM
Frank

If you are gonna jump ship then the next time you drive through town stop and take a turn on my Stubby. The club already has 4 Stubby owners. You might as well be the fifth.:D

Terry