PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Magnets and Leather

Brian Robison
06-22-2007, 7:46 AM
Good Friday Morning!
Any one have good luck cutting these materials?
Any settings to share?

George Elston
06-22-2007, 9:17 AM
Having worked in the promotional magnet business for some time ( in my misspent life), we still have a bit of material left and I have cut a bit of it. Looking back at some settings the last job I cut on a VersaLaser 2.3 (30Wt) was Rast = 34.8 pwr 100% speed 500 ppi, vect = 100 pwr 26% speed 300 ppi.
This worked pretty well but I had to go back and cut the vectors a second time so you might up the power to 40% or so.
A note...American made magnetic sheet (magnum magnetics in Ohio) is not so bad to cut (like a wet dog doesn't smell as bad as a skunk), but most stock available now is from China and it is nasty. The magnetic sheet is basically made from old tires and rust (simple description but close to the truth) so be prepared to clean up afterward. Simple dish soap and water will clean up your cut stock .

I have tried a bit of leather, but have not really had a lot of luck, possibly because the samples I have are close to .2" thick.

Best of luck

George

VersaLaser 2.3 30Wt Corel 11 Vista OS ;(

Joe Pelonio
06-22-2007, 1:57 PM
A lot of the magnetic has a sheet of vinyl (contains PVC) on it. You can order Rowmark laserable magnetic, but it's very thin. If you can find it magnetic with no vinyl on it can be ordered, then you can paint it, for things like magnetic letters/numbers. The stuff I used I cut at speed 50, power 40, freq 500.

Have also done leather but it depends on the animal and thickness. OI have in my notes speed 95 power 30 to engrave, sp55/p35/fr500 to cut, and that was for a cowhide job. Smells like branding time at the coral.

Brian Robison
06-22-2007, 2:23 PM
The magnetic material I'm working with is the Rowmark brushed silver looking stuff. I get bad chared edges. I expect to figure it out but I feel like my settings are WAY off at this point. My first step will be to reduce the frequency.
Rowmark says 100% Power 20 % speed but no suggestions on frequency. I'll try 500 and see what happens.
http://www.rowmark.com/MARK/laser_guide/pages/intro.asp#Intro3