PDA

View Full Version : Another Goblet

Curt Fuller
06-22-2007, 12:08 AM
In the process of doing a demonstration for these goblets at our club I had to do several glue-ups to help explain the process. This is the last of them but it turned out to be the best imho. It's Ash with Koa for the celtic knot, finished with Watco danish oil and then Deft lacquer over that. 6.5" tall and 2" diameter. I won't post anymore of these, I promise.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-22-2007, 12:35 AM
Curt.....That's a beauty! Question.....do you use dried wood on these or do you turn them green...dry and then finish turn? I'd think you'd have to use kiln dried wood for the glue-ups....

Doug M Jones
06-22-2007, 7:31 AM
Curt,
That's a great piece. What angle did you use for the Celtic knot? I haven't tried one yet and like the looks of this one. I assume the greater the angle of cut, the larger the ring in the knot?

Post all you want, I look forward to seeing them.

Pete Jordan
06-22-2007, 8:23 AM
Kurt,

Keep posting them! It gives us inspiration. Have you posted a walk through on how you do them?

Steve Schlumpf
06-22-2007, 9:30 AM
Beautiful work Curt! I hope you keep posting your goblets and second Pete's request for a tutorial. Very nice work as always!

Keith Burns
06-22-2007, 9:32 AM
Only one word come to mind...............perfect !

Curt Fuller
06-22-2007, 11:07 AM
As for a demo, a while back I posted a demo on the goblets... http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=41497
For glueing up the celtic ring, I posted some pictures that sort of show the steps. The angle I use is 25 degrees. I cut them on a table saw but I think it would be easier if you used a power miter saw (I don't have one). The first pic is just an example of how the cut looks with the thin slice of wood the glues into it (not actually for a goblet). The the next is with 3 cuts done and glued and the 4th cut made. The last is how it looks when it's ready to be turned. The only real tricks are getting all 4 cuts lined up even. I put a small piece of tape on my saw table to make a reference point so I get the bottom end of the wood in the same spot for each of the 4 cuts. But a real wood worker would probably have a better technique for that. Then it's also important to use a piece of wood that's the same thickness as the saw kerf for the ring. Too wide and the rings get all uneven and don't line up with each other. Once you get it all glued together you just turn it the same way as in the goblet demo post. One thing that I forgot to mention in the demo is how I support the goblet while turning the stem. I stuff a paper towel tight into the cup of the goblet and then bring my live tail center up with just a little pressure into the wad of paper towel. That holds it steady but also gives a little cushion so that that the pressure from the tail center doesn't bow the stem.

Ken, I use dry wood and turn them from start to finish in one go. I think any wood movement would make it hard to go back and work on it later.

Hope this helps.

Bernie Weishapl
06-22-2007, 1:28 PM
Curt it is beautiful. Don't stop posting them. I really like seeing them.

Ernie Nyvall
06-23-2007, 8:04 AM
Curt, I never get tired of seeing your goblets so keepem coming. Great job again.

Tom Sherman
06-23-2007, 10:21 AM
Curt I agree with Ernie, your goblets are always a pleasure to see. Keep em coming.

Ken LaSota
06-23-2007, 11:30 AM
Curt great job as usual. I asked the qustion in another post how you did the knot I now know how thanks for the demo.
Ken