PDA

View Full Version : dovetail joints

robert micley
06-21-2007, 11:43 PM
when i glue i almost always clamp except for dovetail joints.made 16 drawers with half blind dovetails.i use just enough glue not to have squeeze out.i do not clamp these joints and have no problem.does anyone else out there not clamp dovetails. some one mentioned liking the kreg jig for mounting side mount slides to drawers. i tried it but i prefer just removing the drawer part of the slide and screwing it to the side of the drawer on my workbench.i measure off the bottom and it seems much simpler.is anyone else not thrilled with the kreg jig which holds your drawer outside your cabinet.

Dan Oliphant
06-21-2007, 11:58 PM
Over the years I have consistantly stayed with clamping all joints after glue up, even half blind dove tails. The reason: snug (but not too tight)dove tails can be pushed back out of position due to hydraulics. It only takes once for a project component to be ruined.

Andrew Williams
06-22-2007, 8:09 AM
i don't clamp them. I tried clamping a dovetailed box once and it twisted. Now I just drive the joints home with a hammer and wood block, then use a hardwood wedge to seat the tails. I have never had one creep open.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-22-2007, 9:17 AM
i don't clamp them. I tried clamping a dovetailed box once and it twisted. Now I just drive the joints home with a hammer and wood block, then use a hardwood wedge to seat the tails. I have never had one creep open.

Clearly you like you joints to have snug interference fit.

So do I. However, I often get a tad mixed up with too tight.