PDA

View Full Version : Table by Valsi

Mark Valsi
06-21-2007, 11:19 PM
Here are some pics of a table I just finished. It's a greene and greene style from walnut.

I had a great piece of Walnut and didn't know what to do with it, so I made a table and used the great piece for the top.

I hope the figure shows in the picture

The foot routed out on the leg was made with a jig/template I made from the Darrell Peart book on G&G.

On another board, I posted this project as well, but showed all the mistakes. I'm sparing you the errors.:D

Comments are welcomed

J.R. Rutter
06-22-2007, 12:14 AM
Looks very nice from here! You did justice to that hunk of wood. Good job!

Don Bullock
06-22-2007, 9:23 AM
Mark, as I said over on the other forum, it looks great to me.

The mistakes you pointed out are pretty normal for me and I appreciated seeing them. They made me feel a lot better yesterday when I made a mistake on the table I'm making in a woodworking class. Onlt time will tell if I was able to successfully changed the design enough to cover it up. As I tell my students all the time when I teach, "We learn more from our mistakes."

john tomljenovic
06-22-2007, 9:43 AM
I wish my screw ups looked this bad. very envious of that walnut. BTW

John Timberlake
06-22-2007, 11:07 AM
Nice work. Really good grain on the walnut.

Mark Singer
06-22-2007, 11:46 AM
Mark,
Very nice piece....proportions and workmanship are great! A classic piece!
"Table by Vasli"? I have a Russian Architect friend that refers to himself in the first person...."Valdamir makes nice building....no?" my reply...no!:rolleyes:

glenn bradley
06-22-2007, 11:48 AM
On another board, I posted this project as well, but showed all the mistakes. I'm sparing you the errors.:D

If I ever make something without making any mistakes I'd be surprised. I'd have to make something else next time because if it was that straight forward, I'm not learning anything.

Your table is beautiful, mistakes and all (which I can't see and probably wouldn't notice). Love the style.

David Tiell
06-22-2007, 12:09 PM
Very nice! And that top piece is absolutely stunning!

Jim Becker
06-22-2007, 2:37 PM
Wow...that top is really special! Nice job on the table.

Dan Forman
06-24-2007, 4:08 AM
Beuatiful work, but next time, please, bigger pictures!

Dan

Mike Cutler
06-24-2007, 7:11 AM
Very nice Mark.

I see that Darrel's book has been in your shop too.;) My copy is on the workbench right now.

Your detail is great! The drawers are very well done and capture the feel of a G&G piece. These coupled with the reverse cloud lift on the underside are a nice compliment to each other.
I thought the top overhung too much on first impression, but I like that. It refined the table without a lot of fussy detail, simply by having the thin edge extend out from the cabinet. Nice.

Once again, nice work.

Mark Valsi
06-24-2007, 11:46 AM
thanks for all the nice comments.

I wish I knew how to post bigger pictures !!

This was afun project, and the pics don't even show just how beautiful that top is.

I sanded it for days . . . Starting with 120, I would sand it for a while, then wipe it down with a damp (wet) rag, and leave it set for a day.

then sand it with 180, dampen it, etc etc.

It was sooooo smooth at 400 grit that I didn't go any higher.

The finish is Sam Maloooooooof ! <g>

But that top piece of walnut is really stunning !