PDA

View Full Version : How to select a good Taxidermist?

Bob Weisner
01-12-2004, 7:25 PM
Hi:

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to look for when selecting a taxidermist for some taxidermy work? I have a Red Fox pelt and a Grey Fox pelt that I want to have tanned and I would like to know what I should be looking for when selecting a taxidermist.

Thanks,

Bob

Steve Powell
01-12-2004, 8:00 PM
I always ask to see previous work along the lines of what I am asking to have done. In the case of posing I ask to see some posed items and tanning I simply ask to see some previously treated pelts and ask their ages. The gun store that caters to hunters in your area will also be able to give you some names. If you ask, most people in the area will help since they were once in the same boat.

FWIW

Kurt Aebi
01-13-2004, 7:22 AM
Bob,

Steve is right, make sure you not only get good recomendations, but also go an see his work up close and personal. You want to look around the eyes, nose and mouth of each mount to see if there is any shrinkage or slippage (hair falling out) and to see the "realism" of each piece. As an amateur taxidermist myself, all the lessons are geared toward realism and closely duplicating what is found in nature. Check with your local sportsman's or hunting clubs to see who they recomend. Another place you can look is the taxidermy forum "taxidermy.net" (no membership - free to the public, no registration), they have an advertisement section that is organised by state that you can look at as well. I am not sure whwere you are located, but I know that some states, like PA, require a taxidermist to pass a test that includes inspection of mounts before they can get a license to do taxidermy. Most states do not reqire this, so be careful and make sure the one you choose has good credentials and talent.

Good Luck,

Kurt

Bob Weisner
01-13-2004, 8:05 AM
Thanks for the replies!

Kurt, I found two taxidermists that can tan the fox pelts. I only wanted the pelts tanned. One taxidermist sends the pelts out to Moyle tannery to get them tanned. The other taxidermist does the tanning himself. The 2nd taxidermist has only been tanning furs for 2 to 3 years. I have not seen any of his work. He said he uses Rittels EZ-Tan. Will that give a good garment tan? I tanned a mink pelt myself this year using Trappers Hide Tanning Formula and it did not turn out too bad for my first try at tanning. Also, the 2nd taxidermist said that he would not be able to tan the fox pelts until about 3 to 4 weeks from now. He said that is when he will be getting his tanning supplies in and then he can tan the pelt. Should I be concerned about waiting that long?

Thanks,

Bob