PDA

View Full Version : A little warping

Mike Vickery
06-21-2007, 10:31 PM
These are eucalyptus and came out of a DNA bath 3 days ago and were wrapped in 10 sheets of newspaper.

They both now measure 9 x 7 1/4 from the widest to the narrowest.

There was another one that I did not picture that is now 10 1/4 by 9 that was out of dna for about 36 hours again 10 sheets of news paper.

Luckily they are the cores the big ones were all anchor sealed and air drying and seem fine so far.

I think this is my welcome to drying wood in the AZ summer!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-21-2007, 11:02 PM
Mike....Most people think of Idaho as a green state...and for the most part it is....but here in Lewiston the annual average moisture is 12"....We are dry and I have similar results that you are having with different kinds of wood. I could be wrong....it's just my speculation that in extremely dry climates some modifications need to be made when drying is concerned even when using DNA......Just my opinion based on my experience.:confused:

Mike Vickery
06-22-2007, 1:39 AM
I am not sure what the average is but I have seen it listed as low as 5% for today and as high as 8% (depending on where I looked).

I fully realize why they turned to footballs. I just though it was funny how quickly they did it.

Don Eddard
06-22-2007, 3:12 AM
Eucalyptus seems to like to move quite a bit too, in my experience. So it may not be all the AZ dryness, but also the wood itself.

Blake McCully
06-22-2007, 7:10 AM
Mike,
It looks like you left them thick enought that the warping shouldn't be a problem. I've been stabilizing in DNA for quite some time, and have always encountered warping, although I haven't experienced cracking. That's why I use the DNA to stop cracking.

I noted that you said you wrapped them in 10 layers of newspaper. I use one thickness of brown paper, leave the opening clear and store them up side down on cookie drying racks. I don't think that should be a problem thogh.

Just reverse turn it and square up the tenon, re chuck it a go to it.

Let's see them when you're done.

Kevin McPeek
06-22-2007, 9:53 AM
I haven't done any Euc yet but I have had the same issue in the past with other woods. Anything that I rough that will dry in the summer gets anchorseal and wrapped after the wax is dry. After summer I will take all my roughouts and put them on the lathe just to clean off the anchorseal so they can finish drying. I generally won't do much if any roughing in the summer months.