PDA

View Full Version : No. 7 Jointer Plane ID?

Dominic Greco
06-21-2007, 9:55 PM
Hello Everyone,
I bought this old jointer plane several years ago from a friend who was selling off some of his Grandfather's tools. My intent (unless I'm told it's an incredibly valuable antique!):D is to clean it up and use it.

There are no markings on the body. However, I was told by someone on this forum that the twisted lateral adjuster signified a "Union" or "Sargent" handplane (can't remember which). Could someone clear this up for me?

The body is 22" long which makes it the same length as a Stanley No.7 (data courtesy of "The Handplane Book" by Garrett Hack). It appears that the original lever cap has been replaced with one from a Transitional Plane.

Anyway, there is a marking on the blade. It reads "Hudson Tool Co". All I could find on Yahoo was a reference to a chisel made by the same company. They stated that the company was in business in the 1880s but not much after that. One other tidbit of information, the slot on the blade features an octagonal cut out where more modern blades are circular. I wonder if this signifies a cast blade as opposed to a stamped one?:confused:

The frog does not feature the "fine" adjuster screw in the back. But knowing little about Jointer Planes, I'm not sure if this was a common feature.

I was wondering if someone could help me ID which company made this plane and get some more info on the "Hudson Tool Company". I'd like to try to establish the age of this jointer plane.

I guess my next step is also to locate a lever cap that would fit this. Any help there would also be appreciated.

Thanks for viewing.

Ryan Cathey
06-21-2007, 10:52 PM
I'm gonna go with Union. The lateral gives this away and also the hole in the blade when it was moved towards the cutting end was patented by Stanley (tells ya how money hungry they were/are) so to get around the patent one of the companies made the whole octagonal.

David Weaver
06-22-2007, 8:15 AM
I'd say it looks exactly like a bailey, except there's no "no 7" written on the front, and I'd expect that maybe for a frog as old as that design. Also, is there anything stamped into the lateral adjustment? A lot (all?) of the older design stanley planes had "stanley" something or other stamped into the top of the lateral adjustment.

Adriaan Schepel
06-22-2007, 8:21 AM
I have an Ohio 08 and this plane is strikingly similar. A few minor differences (lever cap, depth adjustment wheel), but pretty close in every other respect inc lateral adjustment lever.

Does it have "7" or "07" stamped on it someplace? Is the blade tapered? Is the hole in the blade octagonal? If so, it's got to be very close to an Ohio. Handle shape, most notably the front knob, is strikingly close.

Many of the older tool companies manufactured tools for other smaller companies or businesses.

Cheers,
Adriaan

Clint Jones
06-22-2007, 8:52 AM
Its definately not a stanley 100% positive. You can tell from the no markings on the bed, lateral lever, and the wood used for tote and knob. It is made by union for a hardware co. There are planes like this all over DE Shapleigh, Crescent Mgf Co., Zenith, and many more. Larger companies put in bids to the smaller hardware chains to manufacture their line. They slap a different blade in it and now they have their "house brand". Your plane was probably manufactured around 1900 more or less. The correct lever cap will be a smooth one like the ones on early Stanley, Ohio, or Union planes. Clean it up it definately looks like a fine user (who needs a fine frog adjustment for a jointer:confused: )

Dominic Greco
06-22-2007, 10:32 PM
Does it have "7" or "07" stamped on it someplace? Is the blade tapered? Is the hole in the blade octagonal?

I didn't see a "07" anywhere on the plane. But I really haven't cleaned it off yet. Once I do, I think I will start uncovering more details.

The blade does feature that octagonal hole. And I will measure it to determined if it is tapered as soon as I get a chance tomorrow.

Dominic Greco
06-22-2007, 10:36 PM
....A lot (all?) of the older design Stanley planes had "Stanley" something or other stamped into the top of the lateral adjustment.

Except for me cleaning off the blade and chip breaker, this jointer plane is pretty much in the dirty condition that I bought it in. As soon as I start cleaning it up, I will probably uncover more details.

If I get a chance tomorrow, I will take a soft brash brush to the lateral to see if I can get it clean enough for examination. I'll be sure to let all of you know if I uncover anything

Dominic Greco
06-22-2007, 10:38 PM
I'm gonna go with Union. The lateral gives this away and also the hole in the blade ....

That seems like the consensus. So it appears to be a Union Jointer plane circa 1900.

All I can say is "COOL!" I can't wait to get it back into working condition again.:D