PDA

View Full Version : Am I being punished???

Brian Kent
06-21-2007, 9:53 PM
It's a warm day in Southern California. I was making a router table in the garage when the garage power went out. Lights plus air filter on high plus Dust Collector start-up on a small old circuit = poof!

Two hours later and it still won't switch on.

Do you think I am being punished for building a router table instead of using neander tools?:confused:

David DeCristoforo
06-21-2007, 10:34 PM
"...Do you think I am being punished...?"

Absolutely! You better burn that router table as an offering immediately or the entire LA area may go down!

Brian Kent
06-21-2007, 11:34 PM
Still out. Waiting. Waiting.

Dave Anderson NH
06-22-2007, 9:26 AM
One of the most enjoyable days I've ever had working wood was 4 winters ago. I had just rinsed myself off in the shower and was reaching to turn the water off when the power went out. Here in the woods of NH no power equals no water (well), no electricity to control the oil burner, and no electric stove for cooking.

I went down to the shop, fired up the wood stove in the bench room and opened the curtains to get the max amount of daylight coming through the windows. After perking up a pot of coffee on the top of the woodstove, I switched the boom box to battery power and proceeded to get to work. It was one of those mornings when the sky was fairly bright but it was cloudy and snowing lightly. The view out the bench room windows was great and quite peaceful.

I worked all morning on planing the faces of boards, cutting some joinery, and covering the floor and bench with chips and shavings. At lunchtime the power was still off. I grabbed a pot from the kitchen and a can of Progresso soup and then it was back to the woodstove. Hot lunch in the bench room with snow gently falling outside and some classical music on the boombox. It doesn't get any better.

Finally about 3 PM the power came back on, the lights glared, and the mood was broken. Truly a day to remember and savor. The best part was that I didn't miss the light, my power tools, or the clock on the wall.

Brian Kent
06-22-2007, 12:12 PM
That's what it's all about!