PDA

View Full Version : Mark at Palmgren????

Bonnie Campbell
06-21-2007, 5:16 PM
Okay, my palmgren decided to screw up too. I can't find my manual (figures). But could someone give me the number to call and talk to 'Mark' at Palmgren? Figures I'm on a deadline to get a couple bowls done and this happens. My midi lathe is to small to do the bowls :(

Thanks for any help!!!!!

Gilbert Vega
06-21-2007, 6:10 PM
Try this #, 1-800-621-6145

Bonnie Campbell
06-21-2007, 6:18 PM
Thanks Gilbert! Must be closed for the day, I'll call early tomorrow....

Bobby Perry
06-21-2007, 8:41 PM
If you can't get Mark to do anything talk to Tom. He is Marks supervisor. If that don't work tell the operator you want to talk to the CEO. He will talk to you and he can get stuff done. I am calling him in the morning. If they need to send you a new headstock good luck. I am on my second one and they won't send another one till after the first of July, cause they told me they were out of them. I want a complete refund from them now, after 2 bad headstocks and slow warranty service.

Bonnie Campbell
06-21-2007, 9:15 PM
Thanks Bobby for giving the list of command. I'm motor stupid, so I just want a new headstock. I wouldn't know what they were talking about on any of the electrical stuff :confused::( So, either they'll send the headstock or just refund my money. Birthdays next week, maybe I could finagle a bit more together to get something better :(

Gordon Seto
06-21-2007, 10:04 PM
Take it for what it is worth. I have absolutely no personal knowledge about this lathe. Tell me if my assumption is wrong. From SMC, my impression is several Creekers purchased the Palmgren lathes not long ago from Amazon at a very good price. From the postings, there had been a number of problems; and the service was excellent. Replacement parts, headstocks were sent promptly without hassle.

I think a for profit corporation needs to make money to prosper. They can't continue to send out replacement parts under warranty and make money. Most importantly, they need to produce good, reliable products and a good support policy for consumers to buy.

If the products are good, we only know about their service department if the carrier drop the lathe during shipping.

I will lean towards getting something else, that has a proven track record of durability, may be with less capacity.

Gordon

Bobby Perry
06-22-2007, 1:03 PM
Did you call them and are they going to send you a headstock? If so when? If they told you they had one instock and would send it right out I want to know ok.
They are telling me that it may be the middle of July before they even have any.

Bonnie Campbell
06-22-2007, 2:25 PM
Haven't heard back from the voice mails I left. Both Mark and Tom are apparently to busy to return calls (do I need wonder why?) I'll let you know what I hear when I'm finally able to catch one of them.

Bonnie Campbell
06-22-2007, 7:06 PM
Okay, after a few calls I finally caught 'Tom'. He offered to pay an electrician to come fix it. Not likely in this town. Checked, I couldn't get one. So I called him back. Next option was to get a 'Craftsman' labeled head sent to me Monday by next day mail. I accepted that offer. So hopefully it'll make it here by Wednesday at the latest.

Thanks for the help with the names and numbers!

Bobby Perry
06-22-2007, 7:51 PM
Ok he told me they didn't have anything to send out. I will call back Monday. I am wondering if the Craftsman headstock might be better. :D At least it might not be as bad. This will be my 3rd one. When you get it the little pin thing won't fit in the same hole. They line up different.

Bonnie Campbell
06-22-2007, 7:56 PM
That was kind of my thought, maybe the 'Craftsman' will be better. Can always hope so. If the thing doesn't fit it'll be their problem to fix again..... Maybe a new bed to mount it, and for the hassle legs.... I just want a lathe that works.

Bernie Weishapl
06-22-2007, 10:03 PM
Bonnie and Bobby I got my second headstock from Mark about 1 yr. ago and haven't had a dimes worth of trouble since. Hopefully it will work out for you also. When he said overnight he meant it for me at least. I called him on a Tuesday in May of 2006 and had the headstock Wednesday afternoon. Good luck.

Bobby Perry
06-25-2007, 8:09 PM
I called today and like you left messages and no call backs. Even the CEO wouldn't call me back.

Bonnie Campbell
06-25-2007, 9:02 PM
I finally caught Tom at the lunch hour. Today I got a call saying a head had been shipped and I'd have it tomorrow.

Bobby Perry
06-25-2007, 10:47 PM
I will be back on the phone again tomorrow till they get tired of hearing me leaving messages :)

Bob Hallowell
06-26-2007, 8:27 AM
Man, This really stinks- I too am on my second headstock. It seems to be running good though!

Bob

Bonnie Campbell
06-26-2007, 8:51 AM
Well I'm sure hoping this head will work (supposed to get it today). I asked about things not lining up since it'd be labeled Craftsman, and was told they're exactly the same.

One nice thing.... I was told to just send the Palmgren label back instead of the whole head. Wasn't looking forward to packaging it up (but I would have).

Bobby Perry
06-26-2007, 9:02 AM
I wonder what the difference is I had to get a new rod for the tailstock cause the old one broke and they made me send it back, plus I had to repack the old headstock and send it back, on their dime though.

Bonnie Campbell
06-26-2007, 9:06 AM
Maybe they figured out all of us that bought around that time ended up with junk? So mine isn't needed to prove it? I know I asked three times to make darned sure about not sending it back. Maybe because I'm a woman? Who knows the reasoning they use. Building a better quality product would serve them best......

Hubby told me that the lathe can now be my birthday present too :rolleyes: lol

Bobby Perry
06-26-2007, 9:31 AM
My wife told me if they would give me a refund for this one I could buy a Nova 1642.:D

Bonnie Campbell
06-26-2007, 9:55 AM
You lucky duck! If this new head doesn't work out I'll pout a bit (not really, I hate pouters lol) and I'll look for a better brand at that time. Right now I've got four bowls ordered and figure if it lasts through them I'll be doing okay :o

Bobby Perry
06-26-2007, 10:21 AM
Just talked to the CEO. He is going to find out what is going on and call me back. I told him that if they can find headstocks for some people and not for me then just send me a refund and send somebody out here to pack and load this thing up and get it out of my shop. Now we will see what happens.:D

Bonnie Campbell
06-26-2007, 11:05 AM
Well, I got the new head. Haven't torn open the box yet. Have to dolly it down to the shop first. But it DID get here.

Rex Guinn
06-26-2007, 1:52 PM
Okay, my palmgren decided to screw up too. I can't find my manual (figures). But could someone give me the number to call and talk to 'Mark' at Palmgren? Figures I'm on a deadline to get a couple bowls done and this happens. My midi lathe is to small to do the bowls :(

Thanks for any help!!!!!
Bonnie;
Mark sent me a new head stock last week, guess what it did not work either. I talked to him again on Thursday last week and he is sending me another one. This time I ask him to bench test it first. Should be here tomorrow I hope. I will let you know.

Bobby Perry
06-26-2007, 1:54 PM
I just got off the phone with Palmgren. They are going to send me a Craftsman headstock until the new Palmgren headstocks come in. Which should be around the 25th of July. I do have to send this old one back on their dime. When the new ones come in they will send mine out then I have to send the Craftsman back.

Bonnie Campbell
06-28-2007, 2:31 PM
Okay, finally got the new head on. Amazing how hard it is disassembling things! My arthritis is gonna be killing me soon.... But, heads on, seems to be running better than the first one ever did (if I'm honest). Problem is, As was mentioned, one thing doesn't fit. The locking pin is a thicker diameter. So called about that. Tom sounded surprised it isn't the same, but will be sending me a smaller one. He said it CAN be run without the locking pin in place. Y'all think it can?

Bonnie Campbell
08-07-2007, 6:16 PM
Geesh! I'm starting to hate the name Palmgren! The handle to tighten the tail stock just broke off at the screw :mad: This AIN'T been my week...... Calling tomorrow to see what they'll do about it

Bobby Perry
08-07-2007, 6:37 PM
They will send you a new handle and rod. Mine has already been replaced. Watch them though they sent me the handle and rod for the tool rest first. I am still waiting on the new headstock with Palmgren on it instead of Craftsman. I talked to them yesterday and it was to be shipped Thursday if they could find one of the new ones that would pass the test. So far they hadn't found any that worked right.

Jon Shively
08-07-2007, 11:05 PM
I have a Craftsman VS lathe that was worked on this spring. Yesterday while turning an antler for a pen it made a "popping" noise and the motor runs but neither of the pulleys are turning. Called Sears, they said the repairman had a fit with the weight of it last time and wants to work on it at my home. So am calling that number tomorrow and hope he gets it up and running. For now my JET Mini will do all of the work. What kind of problems are you all encountering if I may ask? I assume mine is a key or pin or something of that sort. But since under warranty, I will let him work on it. Kind of concerned as warranty runs out in October. Thanks for your input and listening/reading my problems.

Bonnie Campbell
08-08-2007, 10:36 AM
Sounds like our problems have been numerous Jon. Capacitators coming loose...handles breaking.... That's been my lathe anyway.

I did get a hold of Tom. He said they'd next day ship a new tail stock out. I figured he'd just say a handle, but I guess it'll be the whole thing. So today I'll need to break the old one loose :rolleyes: