PDA

View Full Version : chisel sharpening tutorial?

Mel Bay
06-21-2007, 2:54 PM
is there online somewhere a good tutorial on how to sharpen and maintain chisels and block plane knifes? Also instruction on how to restore chisles that have really banged up edges?

I caught the end of the program on the DIY channel where he used 4 wet stones to sharpen a block plane knife but not the entire thing. I have a water wheel thing with single stone wheel in water well (I guess Tormek like) that I inherited but not sure its the right thing to use by itself as the wet stone approach on the DIY used 4 different stones.

Id probably only need to sharpen infrequently like once every 2-3 months as its a weekend hobby thing.
Any thoughts appreciated.

thanks

Zahid Naqvi
06-21-2007, 3:24 PM
Mel, I hope you don't mind that I moved your thread to teh Neander side, you are bound to get more attention here. The water wheeel you have is good for the establishment of the initial bevel, you will still need a setup for final honing. There are various kinds of sharpening surfaces (water stones, oil stones, sandpaper) that you can use as well as jigs to keep the blades at a consistant angle, as well as doing it free hand.
Do a search on nsharpening within SMC and you will find plenty of information. Also look into your local library for sharpening books. It's a broad topic and will need some reading to get you started.

Mel Bay
06-21-2007, 3:48 PM
OK. thank you for putting it in the right place. Ill search on nsharpening.

Robert Rozaieski
06-21-2007, 3:48 PM
This is a real good tutorial on how to hone freehand.

http://www.antiquetools.com/sharp/

Lots of pics and drawings and good descriptions.

Jim Thiel
06-21-2007, 4:42 PM
I've enjoyed? Leonard Lee's book The complete guide to sharpening. If you can find it locally, I'd suggest you thumb through it. I ended up buying one just for the reference material.

Jim

Steve Schoene
06-21-2007, 6:49 PM
This is a real good tutorial on how to hone freehand.

http://www.antiquetools.com/sharp/

Lots of pics and drawings and good descriptions.

I'll testify to the value of these methods. I had the privilege of taking classes with Maurice Fraser at the Craft Student League. Sharpening was the lesson for day one, and by the end of the session virtually everyone was producing chisels that were shaving sharp. Many of the students had never even held a chisel before. (Remember the classes were in Manhattan at the 52nd Street YWCA.) Dovetails were the lesson started on the second evening session. A great teacher.

Carl Eyman
06-22-2007, 8:16 AM
Michael Dunbar's Video on using sandpaper is excellent. It's a Taunton Press production. He shows how to restore a badly knicked chisel without the need for a wheel and do it fast.