PDA

View Full Version : Brick molding ?

Al Willits
06-21-2007, 9:13 AM
Wasn't quite sure where to post this, so I'll try here, if wrong sorry.

Currently replacing windows in the house one at a time, on my first one now, and at the brick molding stage.
Several have suggested using the PVC molding and I'm wondering how it is to work with compared to wood molding, also painting?
Does this stuff hold paint well, and what type and primer should I use, the guy at HD says almost anything should work....that statement makes me a bit nervous..:)

Any suggestions?

tia

Al

Jim Becker
06-21-2007, 9:53 AM
My understanding is that you use the same finishing materials for the composites as you would for wood including primer and paint...and caulk in and at the joints as you put things together.

Eddie Watkins
06-21-2007, 10:10 AM
I trimmed a window last year with PVC boards and they are holding up fine. The window was in an area that got wet when I turned on the sprinklers and over time the paint had cracked and the wood had gotten wet and warped. The PVC seems to resist both moisture and warping and the paint is holding on very well. The PVC I bought actually had an imitation grain on one side and looks very natural. I did have to rip it and plane it to match the trim on the other windows but it wasn't bad.

Eddie

Al Willits
06-21-2007, 11:03 AM
Sounds good, thanks.
Eddie, did the PVC stuff cut and plane well?
I'm going to have to trim it to work

Al

Kyle Kraft
06-21-2007, 12:00 PM
I just made a trellis for my wife out of the AZEK PVC stuff. I used pocket hole joinery and at the top I made a simulated crown moulding with two pieces of material with a routed ogee around the edge. I then glued and screwed them together to look like moulding. Kind of hard to explain.

Eddie Watkins
06-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Sounds good, thanks.
Eddie, did the PVC stuff cut and plane well?
I'm going to have to trim it to work

Al
The PVC kind of cut in strings rather than dust. It was really nasty in my dust collection system. I eventually had to go in and vacuum some of the strands out of the table saw. The planer seemed to get rid of it better. I am currently putting it on a house we are rehabbing but I was lucky enough to find some the correct size so I am only cutting to length.

Eddie

Ben Grunow
06-21-2007, 8:37 PM
Did my whole house in it Al. works just like wood only not really easy to hand plane (unless it is really clamped down and your plane is sharp) so a power plane is nice or just careful scribing on the TS. Get the right adhesive that is made by the mfgr as it is a solvent glue that actually melts the pvc together like pvc pipes. No need for biscuits or a lot of nails as the joint, even miters, is stronger than the material.

Ben

Al Willits
06-21-2007, 9:22 PM
Sounds good, thanks.
If we go with PVC is the stuff at Home Depot the same as a lumber yard or is there different types/qualities?
Al