PDA

View Full Version : Not a fan of spectator sports

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-21-2007, 8:43 AM
But I thought this was interesting - in light of all the Steroid ruckus. I believe Sosa was in the the thick of it and clearly they've all had to scale back but - - - -

Sosa hits 600th home run
Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:51 AM ET

DALLAS (Reuters) - Sammy Sosa became the fifth member of the Major League's 600 home run club on Wednesday when he connected a solo homer to help the Texas Rangers to a 7-3 win over his old team, the Chicago Cubs.
Sosa, who had gone off the boil after reaching No. 598, hit a solo home run off Jason Marquis in the fifth inning during the interleague home game.
He circled the bases to a standing ovation and was called out for a pair of curtain calls. His 12th homer of the season came in only his second game against the Cubs.
Sosa started his career with the Rangers but did most of his damage with the Cubs from 1992 to 2004.
"I'm never going to forget this night," Sosa told reporters. "Tonight was something that brings a lot of joy.
"I'm very thrilled to have that opportunity to come here and hit number 600, especially here."
Sosa joined Hank Aaron, Barry Bonds, Babe Ruth and Willie Mays in the elite 600 club.
The ball, which traveled an estimated 395 feet, landed in the Texas bullpen in right centerfield and was retrieved by reliever Akinori Otsuka.
*Slugger Frank Thomas crushed a second-inning grand slam to register career home run No. 497 and help the Toronto Blue Jays to a 12-1 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers.
*The Detroit Tigers finished off a three-game road sweep of the Washington Nationals with an 8-4 victory, with Jeremy Bonderman raising his record to 8-0. The Tigers scored 32 runs in three games.
*The Boston Red Sox blanked the Atlanta Braves for the second straight night, hitting five homers with seven shutout innings from Julian Tavarez in an 11-0 road win.
*The Baltimore Orioles, playing their second game for interim manager Dave Trembley, ended a nine-game losing streak with a 7-1 road win over the San Diego Padres.
*The New York Yankees fell to the Colorado Rockies for the second straight night, this time 6-1, and dropped 10 games behind the Red Sox.
*The Cleveland Indians beat the Philadelphia Phillies, 10-6, with C.C. Sabathia winning his 10th of the year.
(Writing by Mike Shalin in Boston)

Jim O'Dell
06-21-2007, 9:49 AM
Yeah, it was awsome watching that little trademark hop of his after he connected with that ball. Glad for him that it landed in the bullpen, and he will get the ball back. And as fate would have it, it came against the team he made most of his HR's for, and the player wearing his old number. Jim.