PDA

View Full Version : Cerdec- Denatured Alcohol

Johan de Klerk
06-21-2007, 7:28 AM
Hi Everyone,

A newbie here!!

I've read the posts on Cerdec, and it is amazing that you can thin it, I've been told to apply it as it is, get it in 25gsm containers it's not that runny it has the consistency of the mixture of cream and toothpaste, can I thin it more?

What is denatured alcohol? I've phone a couple of hardwares and they don't know what I'm talking about. Is it "meths"

Please help
Johan
Cape Town
South Africa

Rodne Gold
06-21-2007, 7:50 AM
Denatured means its made unfit for human consumption , IE meths , but meths contains a lot of water and a blue dye.
Use alcohol from a chemist , just not rubbing ,ask for "pure"
There are cheaper and better local alternatives to cerdec. Water soluble stuff. Ask whomever supplied you the laser.
Im in CT too.

Mike Null
06-21-2007, 7:54 AM
Johan

I don't know what they call it in SA but here it is also known as a thinner and solvent for shellac.

Many people thin Cerdec with equal parts of DNA or even more.

Joe Pelonio
06-21-2007, 8:09 AM
Denatured alcohol is alcohol with something else added to it, to make it taste foul, like a small amount of gasoline. It's mostly used to thin shellac based products. I buy it by the gallon for use as a cleaner/adhesive remover. It is readily available at the big box stores in the section that has paint thinner.

Frank Corker
06-21-2007, 10:08 AM
I use meths. The taste goes away after the first gallon :D

Bill Cunningham
06-21-2007, 11:06 PM
It's also used in Marine stoves, so any boating store will have it by the quart/Pint/Gallon

Tom Cole
06-22-2007, 11:00 AM
I buy mine by the gallon for $11 from a vet supply outlet.