PDA

View Full Version : Federal Period Shelf Clock and Mirror

Rob Millard
06-20-2007, 9:59 PM
Here are two projects I've just completed; both are more or less repeats of pieces I’ve made in the past. The clock is based on examples by David Wood from Newburyport c.1810. The only significant changes from surviving examples are some of the inlays and the use of reeded curly maple quarter columns. The clock measures (less the bracket) 33 ½” tall, 12” wide and 6” deep. It is finished with my standard lime/dyed oil, followed by grain filler and shellac. The hardware came from Londonderry Brasses, and the glass from Bendheim. The customer supplied the dial and movement.

The mirror is a direct copy of one at the State Department. The smaller rosettes and the leaves at the sides are cast from hand carved masters; the remainder of the pieces are carved from pine. It is water gilded over traditional gesso and red clay bole. The customer later decided to have me shellac the gilding which cut much of the brilliance and depth of the burnished gilding. The mirror is finished exactly like the clock. The mirror is 21 ¼” wide and 54 ½” tall.

Rob Millard

Pat Zabrocki
06-20-2007, 10:09 PM
Beautiful, can't find enough words to describe them!!!

Don Bullock
06-20-2007, 10:23 PM
Beautiful, can't find enough words to describe them!!!

You said it all Pat. I'm speechless. Craftsmanship is still alive in the USA!

John Schreiber
06-21-2007, 12:12 AM
Very beautiful. Quality workmanship which will be valued for generations. I doubt I'll ever get that good, but it is something to aim at.

Paul Comi
06-21-2007, 2:04 AM
Rob, you are still one of the few truly inspiration woodworkers in my mind. Along with Phil Lowe, and a couple others, I admire your attention to detail and your choice in projects. I'm glad I happened to log in tonite to see these. For several months, I had a picture of your tea caddy as my screensaver until I just couldn't take looking at that flawless finish anymore!

Calvin Hobbs
06-21-2007, 8:01 AM
Rob,

As always, beautiful work. Finish is outstanding, but that is par for the course on your stuff.

I have been wanting to try my hand at a looking glass one day, probably will go for a little earlier period. I find it interesting that the dial was even signed by David Wood, the original maker.

Did you find these projects easier or faster since you have already made them in the past? And did you notice any quality difference based on your experience?

Cal

Dave Anderson NH
06-21-2007, 9:15 AM
As always, you work and choice of pieces is fantastic Rob. Any chance you'll be going to the SAPFM Mid-Year Conference in Lancaster PA then end of next month?

Jim Becker
06-21-2007, 9:35 AM
Rob, outstanding work...as always.

Mark Valsi
06-21-2007, 9:43 AM
holy timepiece, batman !!!!

That is top shelf, no doubt about it !!

Joel Ficke
06-21-2007, 10:07 AM
Very nice indeed Rob. I love the mirror and especially the pediment carving on it. Are the thin vines from vase to leaves also carved or is that wire of some sort? Also, where did you learn to water guild? Is it difficult to do? Just lovely work!!

Dan Oliphant
06-21-2007, 10:22 AM
Wonderful pieces, love seeing your craftsmenship.

Roy Wall
06-21-2007, 10:37 AM
Those are beautiful Rob. Your talent is amazing - you just keep cranking out exquisite Federal Period Furniture. Awesome.

The wall bracket for the clock is a great touch....very nice indeed.

Is that a beading detail around the glass of the mirror?

Ken Fitzgerald
06-21-2007, 10:53 AM
Rob...You set a high bar for everyone else here! Very well done on both projects!

Zahid Naqvi
06-21-2007, 12:51 PM
as always, top notch.

Mike Henderson
06-21-2007, 2:09 PM
Wow, fastastic work. I especially like the mirror.

Mike

Richard Wolf
06-21-2007, 5:09 PM
Great work on both pieces. I wish you would do a thread on how you did the casting. Adding custom metal work to furniture always adds a new dimension.

Richard

John Buzzurro
06-21-2007, 8:15 PM
Incredible work.

Charles Jackson III
06-22-2007, 8:56 AM
Nice work!

Rob Millard
06-22-2007, 9:56 AM
Great work on both pieces. I wish you would do a thread on how you did the casting. Adding custom metal work to furniture always adds a new dimension.

Richard

Richard,

I should have been more clear on how I cast the leaves. Original details like this were made from so called composition, which from my reading is saw dust, glue, chalk and maybe linseed oil. I chose to cast them from a modern material (Durhams Rock Hard Water Putty). I bought kit to make the mould. The masters were carved by hand then sealed with shellac and coated with a release agent.

I too would like to know how to cast metal.
Thank for taking the time to comment on the clock and mirror.
Rob Millard

John Timberlake
06-22-2007, 11:05 AM
Terrific. Love the finish. And these design have stood the test of time. Keep up the good work.