PDA

View Full Version : iTunes Directory

Peter Stahl
06-20-2007, 8:04 PM
Any iTunes guru's out there? I wanted to move my iTunes directory to another partition on my hard drive as the C drive is pretty full. I did a move to the other partition and went into the Preferences under the Advanced tab and changed the directory address there but no files music shows up in iTunes now. Is there something special I need to do is there only one place where they can live? Any help is appreciated.

thanks, Pete

Ben Grunow
06-20-2007, 9:46 PM
I have moved huge numbers of songs (about 2700) by simply copying and pasting. Takes some time but it works.

You could also create a temporary folder on your desktop and just select and drag the files from wherever they are to the new folder. Then drag that folder into the new location. Hope this makes sense. It worked for me.

Ben

Matt Meiser
06-20-2007, 10:59 PM
Peter, first off, a warning--be careful when messing with moving files. I accidentally made a duplicate copy of every song in my iTunes library messing with the file locations and other settings. That took a LONG time to fix. Luckily I didn't loose all of my ratings.

From what I remember,I was able to just copy the library to the new location, then start iTunes and edit the folder location. I think where I got into trouble was by messing with the two checkboxes under that. BTW, the m:\music folder has the album folders inside that.

For a while until I figured out a solid way to make iTunes look at the same folder from two computers, I was copying the XML files that iTunes stores the library index in. I used a good text editor to do a search and replace on the paths. Notepad is NOT a good text editor--it would hang every time.

Peter Stahl
06-21-2007, 5:47 AM
I have moved huge numbers of songs (about 2700) by simply copying and pasting. Takes some time but it works.

You could also create a temporary folder on your desktop and just select and drag the files from wherever they are to the new folder. Then drag that folder into the new location. Hope this makes sense. It worked for me.

Ben

Ben, kept them on the same hard drive just a different partition so moving them was easy, it's just iTunes doesn't recognize where they are now. All the music is from CD's, none from the iTunes store.

Peter Stahl
06-21-2007, 5:49 AM
Peter, first off, a warning--be careful when messing with moving files. I accidentally made a duplicate copy of every song in my iTunes library messing with the file locations and other settings. That took a LONG time to fix. Luckily I didn't loose all of my ratings.

From what I remember,I was able to just copy the library to the new location, then start iTunes and edit the folder location. I think where I got into trouble was by messing with the two checkboxes under that. BTW, the m:\music folder has the album folders inside that.

For a while until I figured out a solid way to make iTunes look at the same folder from two computers, I was copying the XML files that iTunes stores the library index in. I used a good text editor to do a search and replace on the paths. Notepad is NOT a good text editor--it would hang every time.

Matt, I did exactly what you did but for some reason it doesn't know where they are now.

Ben Grunow
06-21-2007, 8:32 PM
I can offer no more help on the subject. I already told you more than I know.

Ben

Neil Clemmons
06-21-2007, 9:25 PM
Search "Moving itunes library" and you'll find some posts on ilounge.com

Step by step instructions should work for you.

good luck.

Neil