PDA

View Full Version : Edge gluing 1/8" thick veneers

Scott Felicetti
06-20-2007, 5:58 PM
Any pointers or hints on edge gluing 1/8" sheets of yellow poplar. The sheets will be 12" wide each. Edge gluing 3 or 4 sheets together to get 3'-4' lengths. Special clamps? Thanks in advance.
Scott

Jamie Buxton
06-20-2007, 6:09 PM
Blue tape.

Edge-joint the sheets so their edges are straight and square. This is an important step if you want thin glue lines and strong joints.

Lay the sheets out on a work table. Pinch two sheets together, and run a strip of masking tape down the joint. You may find it easiest to first tack two sheets together at one end with a small piece of tape, and then apply a longer length. Do pinch the joints together tightly as you're applying the tape. Repeat for all the joints. Turn the composite sheet over. Slide it to the edge of the table, and break it over the edge of the table at a taped seam. Apply a bead of glue on the exposed edge. Flatten the composite sheet back out on the table to squeeze out the excess glue. Repeat with the other seams.

Scott Felicetti
06-20-2007, 6:24 PM
Jamie,
Thank you, makes sense. I'm assuming you mean blue painters tape, such as that made by 3M. If I used anything stronger it would rip up the yellow poplar when I removed it.

James Carmichael
06-20-2007, 7:00 PM
Yes, blue painters tape should be fine.

I've used this technique on figured veneers as thin as 1/16", works great.

Jim Becker
06-20-2007, 8:00 PM
In addition to the blue painter's tape...platens and cauls to keep things flat.