PDA

View Full Version : Nova Midi Chuck Question

Jason Christenson
06-20-2007, 3:05 PM
I have a Nova Midi Chuck and I would like to start using the woodworm screw to hold bowl blanks while I rough out the outside. The instructions don't say what size pilot hole to drill. If anyone uses this chuck, I would like to know what you recommend.

Thanks,
Jason

Bernie Weishapl
06-20-2007, 3:12 PM
Jason I use a bit smaller than the screw. I make sure it fits on snugly while I am screwing the blank on. I always use the tailstock up though as I am not that comfortable to not to.

Jerry Pittman
06-20-2007, 6:24 PM
Jason,
Measure the root diameter('shank' between the threads) with a caliper. I have a Nova G3 and I find that a 21/64" bit fits nicely. On the Nova site, it appears that the woodworm screws are the same for the Midi and the G3.
Give it a try.
Jerry

Jason Christenson
06-20-2007, 6:48 PM
Thanks, Jerry, I'll give that a shot.

Patrick Taylor
06-20-2007, 9:03 PM
I have that chuck. I use 3/8". This works for me with or without the tailstock, as long as I have good contact with the rim of the jaws against the face of the piece.

Harvey Schneider
06-24-2007, 8:00 AM
When I pressed the customer service people at Teknatool for an answer on this, they told me to use an 8mm or 5/16 drill. This gives a really tight fit that is sometimes hard to remove. The tight fit makes me feel secure, but I still use the tailstock for as long as I can. Incidentally, it is probably obvious, the blank should be tightened onto the screw until it is tight against the chuck jaws.

Kurt Whitley
06-24-2007, 11:08 AM
I think the answers you have are about as good as you will get. I've had 3/8" come a little loose on green wood, but expect it would be the ideal size for a drier and/or denser wood. Keep it in the 5/16" to 3/8" range, but think about how hard or soft the wood is.

Cheers,
Kurt

joe greiner
06-25-2007, 7:49 AM
Jason,
Measure the root diameter('shank' between the threads) with a caliper. I have a Nova G3 and I find that a 21/64" bit fits nicely. On the Nova site, it appears that the woodworm screws are the same for the Midi and the G3.
Give it a try.
Jerry

Difficult to measure the root diameter with a caliper, because one side is high and the other low. Eyeball a candidate drill bit against the screw, and select the one with best fit to the root.

Joe