PDA

View Full Version : edge banding on end grain

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-20-2007, 2:36 PM
Any one ever use West epoxy to affix an edge banding to an end grain face? How'd it work out?

I am sooooo close to simply going ahead and doing this.
Hearkening back to this thread
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=557647#poststop

I have, decided on a hinge, made a top, made a base, and cut the box in three pieces.
Along the squiggly red lines.

It's gotta open like old fashioned barn doors fully half the box exposed the top and base won't open. Clearly with the thin cross sections and hinge size limitations I don't need any added weight.
So the top and base sit still.

Anyway I have this saw kerf for which I gotta compensate. That means edge banding

I want to use Mahog. I have considered making it in small pieces with an angle cut out so it wraps around the end grain and then around the compound angled corner to the inside where I can have end grain for good gluing.
Each edge would need to be made up of three separate pieces as there are angles intersections along each edge.

My delimma arose when I realized that not all of the cuts separating the box body in three pieces are neatly distant from another cornet to adequately provide a long grain glue surface.

ERGO the question What do you think about making an edge band that is simply as wide as the end grain parts I gotta cover and affixing it with West Epoxy. I am almost sort of convinced it'll work if I pre-treat with epoxy the edge grain so as to provide a non-absorbent end grain surface against which to glue.

Any ideas

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-20-2007, 6:01 PM
Clearly this is new territory.
I'll let ya know how it turns out. I have never put so much energy into such a goofy looking project.

It is goofy looking with multiple design elements all working in ways that only a 3 year old would see as unified.

But then a 3 year old designed it.

Jim Becker
06-20-2007, 8:02 PM
It sure is masterfully interesting, Cliff! I'm looking forward to your follow-ups on it.