PDA

View Full Version : AMT jointer

mike roe
06-20-2007, 11:35 AM
Has anyone ever heard of AMT Jointer Model 4122? Ive googled it without much luck. I cannot find a manufacturer or any specs/prices. There is one on craigslist for $225.00 and it looks to be in good condition. I just have no info on it.
Thanks again

Nancy Laird
06-20-2007, 12:07 PM
AMT went out of business about 15 or so years ago, so I doubt that you are going to find much of anything on that jointer.

Nancy

Matt Meiser
06-20-2007, 12:14 PM
AMT is out of buisiness, but they were an importer. Assuming it is a 6" that might be kind of high in my opinion but as someone said in another recent thread, there isn't too much that can go wrong with a jointer if it appears to be in good shape and runs smooth.

Kent Fitzgerald
06-20-2007, 12:40 PM
AMT is actually still around as a company, or at least a brand name (www.amtpump.com (http://www.amtpump.com)), but they dropped their woodworking machinery and support about a decade ago. Despite the name ("American Machine Tool"), they were strictly an importer of generic Taiwanese machines.

The other thing about AMT is that most of their machines were sold with motors optional, so make sure that the one you're looking at has a decent motor of the correct HP, size, and speed.

You can get a new Grizzly 6" jointer for $310 on their summer sale, so $225 for an orphaned machine isn't much of a deal.

HTH,
Kent

Nancy Laird
06-20-2007, 1:20 PM
We had an AMT-branded scroll saw, which was possibly the biggest POS I've tried to use. Blade changing was horrible, it rattled and rolled, would NOT cut a straight line in anything, and trying to follow a curve was impossible. We got a DeWalt 20" about 6 years ago and I don't know what happened to the AMT---it had sat unused (except for an occasional dowel cut-off) for several years before that.

I agree with Kent - that isn't much of a deal...no support means that when it breaks---and it will---you'll ending up buying another jointer, so buy a good (and new with warranty) one now and don't cry later.

Nancy

mike roe
06-20-2007, 1:42 PM
im looking for a jointer and considered the grizzly for 310.00. Shipping for that is minimum $75.00 though. So im also looking at the Ridgid. Of course im always looking for a good deal.

Nancy Laird
06-20-2007, 3:21 PM
Look at the Steel City! You'll get a GOOD machine that will last for years, with a 5-year warranty in case something goes wrong. We have a 6" wedge-bed, but the 8" is available too.

Nancy

Jeff Miller
06-20-2007, 8:48 PM
AMT American Machine & Tool Co., Inc. (http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/Detail.asp?id=29)

Try this link

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=2686

JEFF;)

Rob Bodenschatz
06-20-2007, 8:55 PM
This is really weird. My wife is out for Girls Night Out (GNO) tonight so I took my kids to the library for storytime. I was letting them run around outside afterward and I look across the playground to see what? A building with an AMT - American Machine & Tool sign on it. Hmmm. Never noticed that there. Wonder what they make? Then I come home to read this thread.

Yes, storytime was at the Royersford Library.

Robert Malone
06-21-2007, 8:28 AM
Mike, I brought my AMT jointer about 10-years ago and paid only $125.
I looked at Ray's listing and with the extras (dust port, blades & jig), try 150-160.