PDA

View Full Version : Office projects, 2 down

Kyle Stiefel
06-20-2007, 11:26 AM
Hello,

Last night I finished the 2 of the 3 office projects I needed to complete. The list was a bookshelf, filing cabinet and office chair. Sorry about the pictures of the bookshelf with the stuff on it. The wood is african ribbon mahogany (Khaya) and birch ply. I do enjoy the look of the Khaya but would not recommend it, it seems to be very unstable and stringy when routing. When I was down in Seattle I had picked up a load of it not knowing the quite distinct differences among the mahogany species, live and learn. So now I am trying to burn through it so it will be used up.

For the filing cabinet I used the Accuride full extension slides and am very pleased with them. I found some 1/4 steel rods at the hardware store to hang the files on then actually used those between the 3 bookshelf pieces. The bookshelf simply slides apart into the 3 pieces so you can actually increase or decrease the depth as you see fit. Both items are finished in the foolproof Danish oil.

Hopefully this weekend I will get a start on the office chair.

Kyle

Grant Davis
06-20-2007, 11:34 AM
Looks like a nice addition to the office Kyle.

Don Bullock
06-20-2007, 11:41 AM
Great projects. I especially like the file cabinet. It looks like the shelves are being very useful. They're supposed to have stuff on them.

John Schreiber
06-20-2007, 12:43 PM
Those will make your office look nice. I think the use of the sapwood really adds to the cabinets. The shelves which can be varied in width is another clever idea.

Jim Becker
06-20-2007, 2:25 PM
Snazzy looking file, Kyle! (No rhyme intended...) I like how you did the panels on the fronts.

Michael Weber
06-20-2007, 4:24 PM
Gollywhoppers, that looks nice.:) What kind of slides did you use on the filing cabinet. What's their weight rating?
Mike

Kyle Stiefel
06-20-2007, 6:04 PM
Gollywhoppers, that looks nice.:) What kind of slides did you use on the filing cabinet. What's their weight rating?
Mike

I ended up using the Accuride 3832C 24" model. They are full extension with a load rating of a 100lbs for any of the sizes in this model line which range from 10" to 28". I happened to pick these up from Rockler with the hardware.