PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly jointers: 12" vs. 10"

Jameel Abraham
06-20-2007, 9:16 AM
I'm trying to figure out why the 12" G0609 is $100 less than the 10" G0455. Especially when the 12" is parallelogram. Okay, the 10" has a cast iron base, and weighs the same as the 12", but who would spend $100 more for some added mass when they could have 2" more width? So why would you buy the 10"

Jim Becker
06-20-2007, 9:38 AM
I'd buy the 12" over the 10", personally. (And if the Prize Patrol is sitting in your driveway, go bigger! :D ) The extra width comes in handy for skewing highly figured stock while face jointing to control tear-out as well as edging unusually shaped objects and laminations.

Montgomery Scott
06-20-2007, 11:42 AM
The G0609 is made in China and the G0455 is made in Taiwan. xxx

I think you would be better off buying the Oliver 10". The electronics are better than the Grizzly and uses a Baldor motor. Other than that it is identical (or very nearly) to the G0455 and is produced in the same factory as the Grizzly.

Jameel Abraham
06-20-2007, 2:39 PM
I'd buy the 12" over the 10", personally. (And if the Prize Patrol is sitting in your driveway, go bigger! :D ) The extra width comes in handy for skewing highly figured stock while face jointing to control tear-out as well as edging unusually shaped objects and laminations.

Yeah, Jim, I'd way rather have the 12". Just trying figure out why the 10" was more money. The 12" Grizz is actually the same machine that Wilke was selling as Yorkcraft, which I was so close to buying before they ran out. You snooze, you loose I guess....

I think you would be better off buying the Oliver 10". The electronics are better than the Grizzly and uses a Baldor motor. Other than that it is identical (or very nearly) to the G0455 and is produced in the same factory as the Grizzly.

xxx

I've been looking at the Oliver too. But it's quite a bit more money.

Montgomery Scott
06-20-2007, 3:12 PM
Actually the difference is small between the two. The Grizzly sells for $1849 delivered and the Oliver sells for $2179 delivered when you buy from Equipment Sales and Surplus. Go to equipmentsalesandsurplus.com and in the woodworking tool page click the "specials" on the left side of the page.

Shiraz Balolia
06-20-2007, 6:38 PM

Actually, both the Oliver and the Grizzly 10" are made in China in the same factory.

Jameel Abraham
06-20-2007, 8:28 PM
Actually, both the Oliver and the Grizzly 10" are made in China in the same factory.

Okay, so now my question is all the more meaningfull. Speaking strictly of the Grizzly here, why would someone purchase the more expensive 10" (less capacity) vs. the 12"? Same cutterhead. Again, not posting about the merits of a wide jointer (that's obvious), just trying to see if I'm missing something here about the 10" model that makes it more expensive than the 12", but smaller. Other than the cast iron base, I don't see anything. So can anyone explain why anyone would purchase the 10"? Who would want LESS capacity? :confused: