PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to Zahid for teaching an old dawg...

Dennis Peacock
06-20-2007, 9:05 AM
I wanted to post to say Thank you once again to Zahid for bringing his "stuff" with him yesterday to teach me about sharpening handsaws. He just didn't realize that I had an old handsaw that I got from my Great Grandfather that probably hasn't been touched in about 60 - 70 years. :rolleyes:
I learned a lot from Zahid as well as really enjoyed his company in an environment that we both like to be in....the shop.

Zahid, thanks again for taking the time and effort to come out and teach me about sharpening handsaws. I greatly appreciate it and I for sure learned a few things from you. I hope to repay you one day by doing the same for you.

Creeker's are the best. :D

Jim Becker
06-20-2007, 9:32 AM
So...how does it cut? :D

'Glad that Zahid was able to spend a little time with you, Dennis!

Dave Anderson NH
06-20-2007, 9:49 AM
Seems to me Dennis that Zahid is a "bad" influence on you.;) I see a very steep and slippery slope in your future.

James Mittlefehldt
06-20-2007, 7:53 PM
Since we have three moderators on this one little thread I was wondering, is there any place where people can plan regional meets or even local get togethers, on this forum.

I would love to meet up with some other creekers, it would be great to talk with woodworklers who prefer the hand tool options, or at least understand the basics.

Dennis Peacock
06-20-2007, 9:38 PM
I would love to meet up with some other creekers, it would be great to talk with woodworklers who prefer the hand tool options, or at least understand the basics.

James,
Many times it's best to post a thread in the forum section that you are most interested in and post that you would like to meet other Creeker's in your area. You can also post this topic in the OT Forum section and gain some interest there. Just be aware that not everyone goes to the OT Forum.

Dennis Peacock
06-20-2007, 9:39 PM
Seems to me Dennis that Zahid is a "bad" influence on you.;) I see a very steep and slippery slope in your future.

Dave,
I'm getting closer and closer all the time. ;)
I'm collecting "user" handplanes to use on my projects, handsaws for cutting, I have a decent chisel collection and I'm finding that I find many areas where working with handtools is a great compliment to working with powered tools.

Zahid Naqvi
06-21-2007, 1:43 AM

I look at it as payback, Dennis got me into woodworking so I feel it's my obligation to push him down some slope :D :D .
The saw was quite beat up and we never actually cleaned it, just got to sharpening right off. The original tooth pattern was very unusual, two crosscut teeth followed by a single rip tooth. The pattern was consistent across the length of the saw. Perhaps it was some kind of combination saw. I was trying to file is cross cut and as a result every other tooth became too short due to the original grinding. I eventually got it to a point where all teeth were the same height but it still needed some work to completely eliminate the flattening at the top I did with the mill file. But we had to call it a day as both of us had plans for the evening and needed to get back with the reswpective families. It's amazing how time flys when you are having fun.

We are already talking about building work benches for Dennis, Joe and myself sometime this winter.