PDA

View Full Version : Fastening MDF to Phenolic Ply

Brian Kent
06-19-2007, 11:48 PM
I'm working on a router table with a torsion box supporting 3/4" MDF supporting 1/2" Phenolic baltic birch.

Should I use glue or screws or something else to attach the MDF to Phenolic BB?

Shoul I leave the MDF raw or finish both sides? There will be a hardwood trim around the edges so no MDF will be exposed.

Russ Filtz
06-20-2007, 7:30 AM
phenolic BB? Never heard of it. I've used both phenolics and BB, never thought of mixing the two!

There's umpteen versions of phenolic so it may be hard to find a glue that sticks. MDF too is tough, glue will pull out the fibers, screws don't hold that well (I would find some made for MDF). I guess I would glue AND screw!

Scott Loven
06-20-2007, 8:21 AM
The place I work makes a lot of phenolic sheet material. Customers who want to glue it to something often have us sand it with 60 grit sand paper. People use contact cement to glue phenolic/melamine decorative counter-tops to MDF all of the time.
Scott

Brian Kent
06-20-2007, 11:10 AM
I heard about phenolic faced MDF on some Sawmill Creek thread. Here is where I found it:
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3958

I'll use the sanding plus contact cement.

In another step in this process I need to attach a hinge to a box made of MDF. I would like this to last, so I thought about adding a wide strip of 3/8" ply under the hinge, and then maybe using bolts and nuts instead of screws.

How would you do this?

Peter Pedisich
06-20-2007, 11:30 AM
I'm working on a router table with a torsion box supporting 3/4" MDF supporting 1/2" Phenolic baltic birch.

Should I use glue or screws or something else to attach the MDF to Phenolic BB?

Shoul I leave the MDF raw or finish both sides? There will be a hardwood trim around the edges so no MDF will be exposed.

Brian,

I think you have a product like FinPly which is a BB ply with a colored phenolic coating used in european furniture and cabinets and also concrete forms because nothing sticks to it.

To attach MDF to this ROO glue might work..

Pete

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-20-2007, 2:48 PM
Both will work with epoxy.