PDA

View Full Version : Transpower Jointer?

Dan Bonbright
06-19-2007, 11:08 PM
I am new to woodworking as a whole and I have been slowly aquiring tools from classified ads, pawn shops, and craigslist. I live in Las Vegas and there is not alot of used equipment available here. I have been trying to get the best I can afford (which unfortunatly isn't alot) and I have gotten some good machines. I have found someone selling a Transpower 8" jointer that is about 10 years old. I have done some research and not found alot of information about transpower but I belive that it is rebadged Gee Tech I do not have a model number for this specific unit (I have not even seen it yet) but I belive it is CPT JT-980 that model is listed with a 2hp motor however the owner of the one I am looking at says his is 3hp. The current owner wants $400 for the unit with a mobile base, assuming the unit is in good condition is this a good deal?

Thanks,
Dan

Mike Heidrick
06-19-2007, 11:34 PM
Dan welcome to the site. Never in my ww research have I come across those names before. Good luck though to you. Not much can hurt a joinetr in good shape.

I would definately see if the motor is of quality (btw 3hp for an 8" jointer is HUGE!!) and that you can get blades if you ever need them. Post pictures when you can. $400 is a chunk for a non mainstream named jointer but figure the base is $50-$100 at least most likely.

Dan Bonbright
06-19-2007, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the reply Mike, anyone have suggestions on what I should look at when I inspect it?

Dan

Rich Engelhardt
06-20-2007, 6:13 AM
Hello Dan,

anyone have suggestions on what I should look at when I inspect it?

I'm a raw "newbie" myself. Fortunately, my friend and coworker Jim is an old hand at WW'ing. Last summer I was looking at a jointer at the local Sears that had been returned and was on sale for an extremely good price. I ran the idea past Jim to get his input.

He advised me to go back to Sears, take one of the most expensive straight edges they had on the shelf and check the level of the bed (cast iron). He said if it was even a hair off to pass on it since all I'd get for my money was years of frustration before I junked it and bought something else.

Jeffrey Makiel
06-20-2007, 7:01 AM
Transpower was an importer/retailer in the mid to late 1980s. They were one of many retailers that existed back then that imported 'clones'. Other companies were Enlon, Star, AMT, Total Shop, etc. All gone now.

I believe Transpower was taken to court by Rockwell/Delta because they painted their clones a very similar color to what Delta used. I have a Transpower edge belt sander that looks pretty close to the color of my Delta machines. Color aside, it runs well.

Sorry that I don't have any specific knowledge of the 8" jointer you are considering. But, as Mike stated, not much can go wrong with a jointer. If the beds are flat, your probably fine. If they are not co-planer, they can be shimmed. If the bearing or motor happens to quit in the future, these are readily available and generic parts. Not much more to this machine than that.

-Jeff :)

Kyle Kraft
06-20-2007, 12:18 PM
Jeffrey,

Check out www.cptools.com (http://www.cptools.com) as they currently carry the Transpower line. Their website has jointers, shapers and some production ww'ing machinery. They have a 1-800 number which I called yesterday and they assured me they are still in business. They even have parts for a used shaper I recently purchased, in fact it is still in production and shown on their website. Gloat with pictures will follow sometime soon!!

Jeffrey Makiel
06-20-2007, 1:33 PM
Kyle,
Very interesting. I noticed their stuff is green now. :)
-Jeff