PDA

View Full Version : New Wheels!

Mark Pruitt
06-19-2007, 8:58 PM
It's been 12 years since I bought a new vehicle. Gasoline costing what it does, it was making less and less sense driving a truck with only 15 mpg or so. A recent 850-mile trip in a compact rental car pushed me over the edge to the point of being ready to buy. When I returned from that trip I did the math and figured that it would have cost close to $100 extra in fuel to make the same trip in my truck.:eek: So...I went shopping. The rental car (a Ford Focus) had given me 33 mpg on the highway. I decided on a Honda Civic, which does even better. Highway mileage is 40.:) This little fella has plenty of power and is a pleasure to drive.

BTW, behind it sits some of a pile of cherry I recently harvested. Bit by bit I am turning it into piles of shavings.:cool:

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z284/lathenut07/Civic.jpg

Steve Schlumpf
06-19-2007, 9:38 PM
Wow Mark!! I'm jealous - I ain't never had that much cherry!! Oh, really nice looking car! Mileage can sure make a difference these days! Hope it works out well for you!

John Schreiber
06-19-2007, 9:44 PM
Nice set of wheels. Performance, comfort and 40 mpg, a pretty nice package.

Randy Denby
06-19-2007, 11:09 PM
I saw an Acura today that looked alot like this car. Acura is branch of Honda correct?How do these 2 companies compare? thanks....randy

Rich Engelhardt
06-20-2007, 7:44 AM
Hello,

Acura is branch of Honda correct?How do these 2 companies compare?
Accura is to Honda what Cadillac is to Chevy.

Accura is more "creature" friendly and has a better warranty and a little more performance.
They run ~ 20 to 50% more than a Honda - but there isn't a real apples to apples comparison.

I've had 3 Accords, 1 Civic, 1 Oddysey and one Accura (Integra) in the last 11 years.
Personally, I'd never buy another Accura or Oddysey again - but that's just me.

Mark Pruitt
06-20-2007, 8:19 AM
Wow Mark!! I'm jealous - I ain't never had that much cherry!! Oh, really nice looking car! Mileage can sure make a difference these days! Hope it works out well for you!
Steve, in the photo the car is sitting in the way of the greatest amount of the cherry. The stuff is pretty plentiful around here. Kinda like Walnut seems to be to Cothren.:cool:

I saw an Acura today that looked alot like this car. Acura is branch of Honda correct?How do these 2 companies compare? thanks....randy
Randy, an Acura is basically a Honda with a few extra toys and a high price tag. Same as a Lexus to a Toyota. If I had the $$ for an Acura I'd still buy the Honda and spend that $$ on woodturning tools and supplies.

Mark Cothren
06-20-2007, 8:55 AM
Get that steenkin' car outta the way so we can see that wood!!!! :D

Jim Becker
06-20-2007, 9:02 AM
What? It's not "Mustard" in color!!! Tisk...tisk...

(CONGRATULATIONS on a fine new vehicle!)

Jim Becker
06-20-2007, 9:03 AM
Randy, an Acura is basically a Honda with a few extra toys and a high price tag.

And often a requirement for Premium fuel...gosh, I hate that "feature" of the premium brands!

Dennis Peacock
06-20-2007, 9:11 AM

LOL!!!! Great minds think alike eh Steve!!?? ;)

Congrats Mark on the stack of Cherry stock AND the beautiful car.

Mike Null
06-20-2007, 9:18 AM
Fine choice. I've had 2 Acuras and 3 Hondas. My CRV is 9 years old and I've spent under a $1000 in maintenance.

Mark Cothren
06-20-2007, 11:28 AM
LOL!!!! Great minds think alike eh Steve!!?? ;)

And apparently y'all's do, too.......;)

Ken Fitzgerald
06-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Mark......Great new car! I'm sure you'll like it and it will serve you well. I used to be a Chevy man until I bought an 83 Blazer. I replaced it with used Toyota 4-RUnner. Then I bought a 1976 Honda Accord for the youngest who was in HS at the time. Then I bought an '86 Honda Prelude for the youngest who was 4 years into 5 1/2 years of college. 4 years ago I bought my wife a new 1993 Honda Accord LX V-6 (we need the hp to get up some of the mountains here). With a little regular planned maintenance, those things are great cars! I'm sure you'll have the same luck! Congrats!:)

.........So how'd you get the dealer to throw in the Cherry to seal the deal?:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Mark Pruitt
06-20-2007, 12:36 PM
.........So how'd you get the dealer to throw in the Cherry to seal the deal?:eek: :rolleyes: :D
LOL! Actually Ken I was "wearing" some of that cherry when I first went to the dealership. I had been in a friend's back yard sawing up a cherry tree that had fallen, and I was literally covered in...well you get the picture. The dealer offered to let me drive one of the Civics and I declined, telling him I was way too filthy to get into a nice car but just needed to talk about pricing, options, financing, availability etc etc. Then I went home, cut and sealed my blanks, got cleaned up, went back to the dealer, drove one for a few miles and was completely sold on it. Easiest thing that salesman did all day.:rolleyes:

Gary Keedwell
06-20-2007, 9:24 PM
My LOML bought a new Honda Civic last year and loves it. She let me take it for a ride and I thought I was going 40 MPH, but it seemed too slow and everybody was tail-gaiting me. Come to find out I pressed the wrong button and the digital speedometer was in metric. :D
First time I drove a vehicle with a Digital speed-ometer.:p

Gary K.

Michael Gibbons
06-22-2007, 8:26 PM
Sorry fellas and girls but I have to let you know about a sign a guy had in his vehicle. " SINCE YOU HAVE A FOREIGN CAR, I HOPE YOU LOSE YOUR AMERICAN JOB" Pretty much sums up my feelings.

Jim Becker
06-22-2007, 9:08 PM
Michael, while I can appreciate how you feel, but it's pretty hard to identify what's a "foreign" car these days, no matter what the name-plate. The traditional "American" name plates are pretty diverse in their sourcing and assembly these days...just look on the pillar label of any vehicle. Conversely, Honda, Toyota, etc., have all been building plants in North America (especially in the US) like mad for a number of years now and because of that, a large number of jobs have been created in cities and towns were so many high-wage jobs were not in existence. It's an interesting situation and honestly, it kinda makes that bumper sticker out of date in 2007.

Wes Bischel
06-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Congrats on the new ride Mark. Hope it does everything you need it to do. (and that cherry too!:D )

Wes

PS Jim, we could have a lively debate on the auto industry - but it's not for this forum. Suffice it to say, each individual makes their choice based on their experiences - nothing wrong with that.