PDA

View Full Version : Motorola Razor in the wash

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-19-2007, 8:20 PM
My missus occasionally puts electronics into water. She washed my cell phone. OK no use crying over spilt circuits I go get a new one. Thanks to the recent consolidation of cell phone companies Verizon isn't trying to be competitive so no warrantee service on washed phones, no deals, no rebates - damn~!! Retail was what $250.00 OUCH but I needed a phone and didn't feel like playing the wait and see game with a cheap phone and the cheapest they had was $100.00 anyway.

So I got another razor and for the hell of it I got a bluetooth ear piece. I like the ear piece so well it was almost worth the rest of the sad sorry tale. I can use voice dialing to initiate a call and answer without touching my cell leaving it in my pocket.

Nancy Laird
06-19-2007, 8:39 PM
Here in Albuquerque, a new law went into effect in April mandating the use of hands-free equipment on a cell phone while behind the wheel of a car. In anticipation, we bought bluetooths (blueteeth??) in December and have used them ever since. I LOVE it. I can carry my cell phone in my slacks or jacket pocket, and just have to touch a button on my earpiece to talk. Calling is a little dicier--can't have the radio on loud enough for the ear to hear it, or the little voice will tell me that the requested command "is not supported with flip closed." Other than that, it's great. Albuquerque wasn't the first to mandate hands-free--Santa Fe has had that law for a couple of years (although the police are all looking the other way and using their cell phones while driving, just like us ordinary mortals).

Nancy

Randy Denby
06-19-2007, 11:18 PM
is the blutooth head set the big honkin thing wrapped around peoples ear s I see periodically, it looks almost like they have a fullfledged phone hanging of their ear. Surely that cant be comfortable....and I know its not becoming. But i would love to have a small ear bud phone to go along with my blutooth capable GPS for the motorcycle.
Randy

David G Baker
06-19-2007, 11:42 PM
I see a lot of folks in stores walking around talking to themselves. It gets spooky if you only get to see one side of their face, sort of reminds me of San Francisco after Regan closed all the adult care facilities.
The LOML refuses to be held accountable for anything left in my clothes after they are placed in the hamper. Helps me keep my guard up.

Nancy Laird
06-19-2007, 11:47 PM
My bluetooth is a little canine-tooth-shaped thing about 2 inches long and 1 inch wide. It has a curved piece that hooks over the top of my ear and fits over the opening of my ear---it does NOT insert into the ear canal. It is so comfortable that I forget it's there until it starts singing in my ear. Yep, it's funny to walk around talking to "myself", but it sure does help when I'm driving.

Nancy

Russ Filtz
06-20-2007, 7:34 AM
My Nokia phone went through at least one wash/dry cycle. Still worked great! Cleaner too.

Mitchell Andrus
06-20-2007, 8:28 AM
Bluetooth pipes my phone calls through the radio in my car. Sweet!!

Al Willits
06-20-2007, 9:06 AM
Beasty has financed several projects off what I leave in my pockets, she says I'm tipping her for a job well done....:D

Where I work we have seen some ear problems with phone clerks that wear a head set all day, wondering if we'll see the same with the people who wander around with their phone stuck in their ear?

Al

Jim Becker
06-20-2007, 9:09 AM
Professor Dr. SWMBO's new E62 got a nice quad-venti-one-pump vanilla-iced latté bath in the accident a month and a half ago...it survived, but it wasn't "immersed" like it would be in the wash.

Buying a new phone mid-contract really bites, but it was probably the right thing to do. The newer versions usually have more features. And yes, the Bluetooth headsets are nice. For our cars, since our new E62s don't support a wired car kit, I bought a couple BlueAnt Wireless SuperTooth II (http://www.amazon.com/BlueAnt-Bluetooth-Handsfree-Supertooth-Speakerphone/dp/B000FL9QGI/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-5582759-6963110?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1182344973&sr=8-1) hands free setups and they are great. I don't like using a headset in the car as I have hearing problem and covering up my one good ear with a headset isn't as safe as using a dedicated hands-free device.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-20-2007, 10:42 AM
is the blutooth head set the big honkin thing wrapped around peoples ear s I see periodically, it looks almost like they have a fullfledged phone hanging of their ear. Surely that cant be comfortable....and I know its not becoming. But i would love to have a small ear bud phone to go along with my blutooth capable GPS for the motorcycle.
Randy

Some of them are HUGE. I was behind some DROOLING MORON at a Dave Brubeck Concert who had a monster bluetooth strapped to her ear and the damn thing has a bright LED that flashed regularly pointing off to the rear of the thing (back of her head) that shagged my attention every time it went off. I haven't a clue what the korean or japanese engineer could possibly have been thinking ("Yeah a bright light shooting off behind the user, must be good for sumpin.")
Any way I had an usher make her take the thing off.
It was like one of those Sure-Fire military LED combat lights they use to disable people.

This one I have isn't heavy - even after a long period that you'd notice it but - - - It would be in the way of the music from a live Dave Brubeck Concert and if you've seen him you know he only has just so many concerts left in him. What moron would wear anything over their ear at a Dave Brubeck show I can't guess.

Bob Childress
06-20-2007, 10:57 AM
What moron would wear anything over their ear at a Dave Brubeck show I can't guess.

Probably the one who "went along" just to please her partner. :D Her loss. Brubeck is fantastic.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-20-2007, 11:27 AM
Like Jim I have a hearing problem. I'm stone deaf in my right ear. If you ever meet me in person......I'll try to put you on my left side...and even then...I constantly repeat "What'd you say?"......I pull off the road to answer or make cell phone calls. It's safer and at my age I need fewer distractions while driving.

Ken Garlock
06-20-2007, 12:31 PM
Well Cliff, now you won't be getting any dirty messages.

I wonder who is the person responsible for the care and feeding of their phone. ;)

TYLER WOOD
06-20-2007, 5:26 PM
I also had my lovely bride uh..... refresh my Audiovox phone in the washer.....twice.:eek: Not her fault, I left it there. Still running strong! I do get to upgrade here in about a week, which is good. The phone is getting dirty again and not sure if it would make it through a third spin cycle. But who knows.....

My wife also gets tipped for doing the laundry. She is paid well....;)

Tony Sade
06-20-2007, 7:00 PM
I put my cel through the wash (I'm the launderer in my house) and just assumed it had died. One of the contracts on our family plan had expired, so I was able to get a new phone at the time at no cost-just a new 2 yr. contract. My teenager's phone died before the end of the contract, so just for grins, I took out the washed phone, which I save for some reason, and it still worked. The teenager wasn't terribly happy-he was expecting a new gadget with the latest bells. I told him he could shell out for whatever he wanted to, and that shut him up pretty quickly.

I get about 3 calls a week on my phone, mostly from my wife telling me she's on her way home, so I'm clearly not the type who would benefit from one of those in-the-ear jobs. I gotta say, I find the whole concept and the look real odd though.

As for the hands free setup, IIRC correctly, the emerging research is showing that hands free telephone conversations are no less dangerous than those using a handheld set. The last study I remember reading about concluded that carrying on a phone conversation in a car creates a level of "cognitive distraction" equal to being under the influence. And no, according to the same study, if memory serves, it's not the same thing (in terms of accident rates or level of distraction) as carrying on a conversation with someone in the car, flipping the radio channel, or even eating a burger. Don't mean to start an argument, but I'd be all for a ban on cel phone conversations of any type in a car, especially considering the kind of driving I consistently see from folks with phones stuck to their heads.

Drive safely.

John Shuk
06-20-2007, 9:10 PM
Couple of years ago I was in Key West and I hoisted my son up to look into the shark enclosure and saw my phone leave my waist and go into the water. I had the insurance which is kind of a waste but really handy when you lose your phone so after explaining to the folks on the phone they overnighted a new phone no questions asked.
I lost a phone once before that and had no insurance and wound up buying a phone compatible with VZ wireless on EBAY. It worked fine to bridge the gap until the "New every Two" came back up for me.

Neil Clemmons
06-21-2007, 9:28 PM
Cliff

Don't throw that old phone out. I've had three phones in our family go through the wash. Take out the battery and put them in the oven at around 120 degrees for a few hours, or overnight. They came back to life with no issues. They were Samsung and Nokias. I have not tried it with a Motorola.

Neil

Charles Wilson
06-21-2007, 9:55 PM
Friend dropped his in the toilet (yeah, it was clean water) and some of the buttons don't work now.

Chuck

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-22-2007, 9:26 AM
Cliff

Don't throw that old phone out. I've had three phones in our family go through the wash. Take out the battery and put them in the oven at around 120 degrees for a few hours, or overnight. They came back to life with no issues. They were Samsung and Nokias. I have not tried it with a Motorola.

Neil

OOOPS too late I chucked it when the guy told me it was dead and I wasn't getting no warrantee.

Joe Chritz
06-22-2007, 10:40 AM
Cognitive distraction isn't a term I have heard but it fits.

A large percentage of the problems with driving while on the phone come from the conversation and not from actually holding the phone. Making calls and answering is where the headsets come in handy.

If phone calls weren't dangerous the state here wouldn't have a box on the accident forms for "using phone" as a contributing factor to the accident.

Keep the calls short and to the point. No arguments, political discussions and heavy thinking is the safest way to drive while talking.

Joe