PDA

View Full Version : Finally took the plunge...(gloat?)

Terry Bigelow
06-19-2007, 4:42 PM
Well, despite my absolute love and devotion to vintage Stanley planes(Bedrocks especially) and rehabbing them I have done the unthinkable...bought a shiny new Lie-Nielson #62 LA jack! My motivation was the fact that after MUCH searching to find a reasonably priced Stanley #62 in decent shape I could not see forking over $300.00+ for a plane with a chipped mouth, damaged parts, etc.. So, being that I wanted it for a user spending the $250.00(w/cocobolo) was a bit more reasonable. I can't say enough about the quality and beauty of this plane. Thank you Mr. Lie-Nielson for a job well done. Oh, and I still love my old Bedrocks! HA!

Brian Kent
06-19-2007, 9:06 PM
Isn't it nice that a tool so beautiful also works so well! I spent about a half hour with that plane last month and fell in love with it. The cocobolo handles must feel nice too!

Dave Ray
06-19-2007, 10:22 PM
Terry, you did good, made a super fine decision and buy. I too have a few LN planes and like you I love my bedrocks. This plane is a winner all the way around. Congrats.

Don Bullock
06-19-2007, 10:47 PM
Terry, congratulations. I've drooled ;) on many of the Lie-Nielson planes at woodworking shows.:D The quality is very evident. When I take a plunge over the edge of the slippery slope that's what I plan to buy.

Ian Smith
06-20-2007, 6:53 AM
Nice plane Terry. I like the cocobolo handles, they look really nice. I'd not seen a LN #62 with the cocobolo upgrade before this.

Rob Luter
06-20-2007, 12:13 PM
Very Nice! I splurged on a similar Low Angle Jack (Veritas) earlier this year and found it to be a very versatile design. Consider a couple extra irons ground and honed at steeper angles for a really broad range of functionality.

Enjoy yourself!

- Rob

Jason Boushard
06-20-2007, 3:29 PM
I think that deffinetly qualifies as a gloat. Nice plane now go make something with it :)

Jim Becker
06-20-2007, 5:08 PM
A just plane wonderful gloat!! :D :D :D (I want one of those, too...)

Al Mock MD
06-21-2007, 11:45 AM
I just wept a little bit. If they come out with a bronze body version, I won't be able to stand it. Gimme a read on the heft of that iron, huh? What a glorious plane. Congratulations...with great sincerity.