PDA

View Full Version : Plywood market

Jim King
06-19-2007, 1:35 PM
We are very seriously considering getting into plywood production to compliment our KD S4S lumber for the kitchen cabinet industry. The only problem is that I really know nothing about this market or pricing. Our wood is accepted very well by everyone who sees it so it seems a logical step.

Hard to believe but Google has failed me and I come up with no information on pricing for tropical plywood. As an example can someone give me an idea of pricing for 9 ply 3/4 inch 4 x 8 sheets of plywood with double face of woods like these shown below in turnings. It would have thick sliced facing so as to not have any sanding thru the veneer problem if it were to get scratched in the building process.

Ed Falis
06-19-2007, 2:29 PM
You can check some retail prices at www.boulterplywood.com

Who knows, they might want to distribute.

Check www.atlanticplywood.com as well. They distribute to commercial companies.

Jim Becker
06-19-2007, 2:31 PM
You may want to PM Steve Jenkins...and be patient as he's not online a lot. He buys sheet stock from someone that lays it up to whatever veneer he needs for a job and may be able to put you in touch with them for fact finding, etc.

Jim King
06-19-2007, 3:09 PM
I finally found a site with prices also. Looks a bit pricey. $215 a sheet for 3/4 for one face of teak ? Is that normal ?

http://www.buckwoodcraft.com/teak_veneer_marine_plywood.htm#Teak%20Veneer%20Ply wood%20--%20Full%20Sheets

Montgomery Scott
06-19-2007, 3:40 PM
Here in Seattle we can buy teak 3/4" ply for $149. I've never looked at it closely so I don't know if that's one face or two.

Art Mulder
06-19-2007, 3:47 PM
I finally found a site with prices also. Looks a bit pricey. $215 a sheet for 3/4 for one face of teak ? Is that normal ?

Jim, my local place charges $130 for a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" cherry veneer core plywood. who know how high the price would be for the gorgeous stuff you have!

Ahhh, here you go (http://www.exotic-woods.com/plywood/cabinet.aspx). this place is near Toronto and they have all this exotic stuff. Wow, good prices.

Jeffrey Makiel
06-20-2007, 6:49 AM
I recently bought African Mahogany plywood plain sliced for $110 per 4'x8' sheet The veneer was less than paper thicknees to the point of being an issue.

-Jeff