PDA

View Full Version : Verizon FiOS Ads Are Making Me Nuts!! Please Help

Jack Hogoboom
06-19-2007, 12:25 PM
I don't know if all of you get these ads where you are, but Verizon is running an ad campaign in the Northeast touting its FiOS service. In the ads, the technician (or, in some of the ads, a little kid) touts the various levels of service and then the technician says something to the effect that the fiber is so clean it is "20 Db hot". He then goes on to say something that sounds like "It's true quam" or "it's trick quam". I've been watching these commericals for over a month and I cannot for the life of me figure out what the guy is saying and it is making me crazy!!!:eek: Please help me and tell me what he says. I'm begging you....:confused:

Thanks,

Jack

Jeffrey Makiel
06-19-2007, 1:31 PM
I have no idea what that means....but, none the less, you got me started on FiOS again :) .

I also live in NJ and have been patiently awaiting for FiOS to come down my street. I currently use Comcast and it is underwhelming in quality and support. My Verizon phone service is also crummy too, and prohibits me from having DSL.

I don't know why my area is taking so long to get FiOS. The houses are so close together that one cable going down the block will do 20 homes. I understand that FiOS high definition TV is superior to cable high definition TV. And the non-HD stations are clearer too.

-Jeff :)

Joe Pelonio
06-19-2007, 1:58 PM
Ask any 12 year old kid, these days that's who they all seem to market to.

Jim Becker
06-19-2007, 2:24 PM
He's referring to the signal strength/loss level on the fiber (+20dB - which is "hot" in the industry) and QAM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrature_amplitude_modulation) is digital tuning standard for digital TV. Of course, outside of local channels, the QAM is encrypted so you must use the Verizon STB {set-top tuner box} or a digital cable card from Verizon to access those hundreds of digital channels. But that's really no different, for the most part, from any other cable TV source. The "hot" signal on the fiber theoretically means better connectivity, etc...a good light path...for the services they are sending to your home via the fiber from the central office. (CO)

The ad is kinda purporting that the Verizon FiOS tech is a nifto-neaty technical guru type person...a slam on the stereotypical cable guy. Of course, in reality, most of the folks out there doing the work for the cable companies and phone companies are pretty good at what they do and like any business, there are always a few folks who, um...spoil the fun.

Oh...and you want this service. ;)

Jack Hogoboom
06-19-2007, 4:19 PM
Jim,

Thank you for this!!! I can finally put my mind at ease.

I've been trying to get FiOS for the last few months. Last time, they claimed they couldn't get the wire from the box on one side of the house to the other without doing a new trench on the other side of my driveway. I'm hoping this time will do the trick....

Jack

Jeff Kerr
06-19-2007, 4:41 PM
Man I could only wish. :( I live about 6-7 miles from the Central Office and where I am Verizon's answer is DS_ what? Not only that but they don't have ISDN either.

Forget cable, Adelphia was my provider before they went under, but there is no fiber out here so just good old coax. :mad:

Instead I am having to use a EVDO cell card in a Kyocera router so all my machines can share the bandwidth at the same time. What a treat.

Keith Outten
06-19-2007, 6:10 PM
I started Hampton Roads Online in 1995 with (16) 14.4 modems. We have certainly come a long way since then :)

Matt Meiser
06-19-2007, 8:09 PM
I started Hampton Roads Online in 1995 with (16) 14.4 modems. We have certainly come a long way since then :)

Most places. Out here, Verizon still thinks that's good enough.

Jeff, I'm doing the same, but with a Linksys router. It works fairly well and seems to (knock on wood) be getting better with respect to dropped connections. We bought an external antenna which helped a lot. Regardless, it is way better than our Direcway was.

Keith Outten
06-19-2007, 8:59 PM
Matt,

I would love to be able to convert the SMC server to FIOS. With that kind of bandwidth we could do streaming video, larger pictures and a host of other cool services.

Some Day.......................

glenn bradley
06-19-2007, 9:54 PM
QAM - Quadrature Amplitude Modulation; a long existing standard that allowed us to go to a whopping 9.6 kbps over dialup once upon a time and used for current purposes today. I'm surprised they are bandying it about as if it were a household word. If the marketing boys start blathering about Trellis or Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing we’ll know the geeks truly have inherited the earth.

John Schreiber
06-19-2007, 10:02 PM
I started Hampton Roads Online in 1995 with (16) 14.4 modems. We have certainly come a long way since then
I was going to tell a story about downloading text in olden days at 300 baud and being able to read it as it streamed in,:eek: but I'm sure there's somebody out there who can beat that story because they relied on the pony express for their letters,:D so I won't.:rolleyes:

Jim O'Dell
06-19-2007, 10:50 PM
But you did!:eek: :D :D Jim.

Randy Denby
06-19-2007, 11:00 PM
I was going to tell a story about downloading text in olden days at 300 baud and being able to read it as it streamed in,:eek: but I'm sure there's somebody out there who can beat that story because they relied on the pony express for their letters,:D so I won't.:rolleyes:

Sure glad you didnt tell that story :D :D or I would have told of my smokesignals /drum beating days back in the day.....got alot of exercize when mom called ..that woman can talk forever:D

Mitchell Andrus
06-20-2007, 12:19 AM
I go back to TRS-80 (1982) with a 300 baud accoustic coupler.

Text adventures...

I see a door.
.open door
I see a table, book, key.
.get book, get key

Them was da dayz.

Mitchell Andrus
06-20-2007, 12:22 AM
I got Fios for the computer a few months back and just last week added Fios HD. Had Directtv HD...

I like it, 'cept MSNBC isn't available. I miss Keith... wouldn't have done it if they'd have said so. Comcast has an exclusive with MSNBC apparently.

Reception is great. It's raining and the signal is still there.

Jim Becker
06-20-2007, 9:14 AM
I was going to tell a story about downloading text in olden days at 300 baud and being able to read it as it streamed in, but I'm sure there's somebody out there who can beat that story because they relied on the pony express for their letters, so I won't.

Hey...I used to sell 300 baud modems and it was a big deal when the 1200 baud versions came out. $$$$, too!

Dennis Peacock
06-20-2007, 9:20 AM
Sure glad you didnt tell that story :D :D or I would have told of my smokesignals /drum beating days back in the day.....got alot of exercize when mom called ..that woman can talk forever:D

Oh my gosh...!!! ROFL!!!!!!! Reminds me of when my mom calls. ;) :rolleyes:

Dennis Peacock
06-20-2007, 9:23 AM
Hey, I know about yacking over a modem. It was cool to be at 1200 baud, UNTIL I got my 2400 baud modem. Compuserve at 2400 baud and all text screens..no graphics.

I also used to write COBOL programs on IBM key punch cards too. Ah.!!! Those were the days....until an operator drops a box of cards that made up your computer program!!!!:mad:

Jim Becker
06-20-2007, 9:57 AM
I also used to write COBOL programs on IBM key punch cards too. Ah.!!! Those were the days....until an operator drops a box of cards that made up your computer program!!!!

Yea, we used those cards at Penn State for our PL1 programming course (required for business majors - this was about 1977 or so)...and I couldn't blame the dropped deck on some other "operator"...:o

Steven Wilson
06-20-2007, 10:14 AM
300 baud ? That’s fast. I go back to using 110 baud teletype machines with built in punch tape reader/writer. My first FORTRAN programs were to make fun pictures on punch tape writers. Ah, the fun I had using a spare UPI teletype machine to log into a local PDP-03 and play Star Trek.

I also fondly remember punch cards. Of course all of you would get your punch card deck in order and then run the cards through the punch machine to put a sort order on them so that in case you dropped the deck a sorter could put them in order for you?

I remember a cheap Geophysics Prof who would scrounge old equipment. I and another grad student got the task of converting a digitizing tablet from outputting punch cards to outputting an RS-232 signal as well as punch cards.

This same prof would make sure that all of his gravity measurements (primarily California) were entered on punch cards for safe keeping. He had millions of them. Anyhow, the computing center one day had accidentally erased the tapes of his gravity data, basically a complete set of all gravity measurements taken in California by anyone (it was very complete) - something like 30 years of work. So he had the data center install an old punch card reader (decommissioned the year before) and then pay to have a few semi truck loads of punch cards delivered to the datacenter for processing (he had them stored in Quonset huts in the desert). It was funny watching the Universities data center having to process and rebuild all this data. It took a few months but he recovered about 99% of the data.

Bob Childress
06-20-2007, 10:29 AM
Well, if we're going to play Good Old Days :D I started out learning how to wire the bakelite boards in those sorters and punch machines to get them to do stuff (1965). We used sets of two-pin connectors and the holes in the bakelite corresponded to all possible hollerith punches in the cards.

Then too, recall that programming forms were sent to Keypunch and then every card was "re-punched" by a Verifier on a different machine (QC:) ). Oh, and the computer took up a room the size of a small house with under-floor air conditioning and had a whopping 64K of memory. :rolleyes: :D

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-20-2007, 10:45 AM
QAM stands for "quadrature amplitude modulation," the format by which digital cable channels (http://grownupgeek.com/true-quam#) are encoded and transmitted via cable.

Google is your friend.

John Schreiber
06-20-2007, 12:20 PM
I also used to write COBOL programs on IBM key punch cards
My first actual "contact" with a computer was filling out punch cards with a #2 pencil. I think those cards were limited to 20 columns per line.

Anybody else remember the first hard drives? Big enough to hold the operating system, (CPM) some programs (WordStar, VisaCalc) and even data all at the same time and about the same size as a large format tower.

John Shuk
06-20-2007, 9:26 PM
Jim,

Thank you for this!!! I can finally put my mind at ease.

I've been trying to get FiOS for the last few months. Last time, they claimed they couldn't get the wire from the box on one side of the house to the other without doing a new trench on the other side of my driveway. I'm hoping this time will do the trick....

Jack
Homes with buried service wires have proven to be troublesome for us (Verizon). Not everyone wants to dig up a portion of the yard to lay the cable in. So if you are building a new house put in a conduit for your television and telephone cables to reach the house in!

John Shuk
06-20-2007, 9:27 PM
I'm going to talk to somebody about getting Jim Becker hired as a Verizon spokesman. Let James Earl Jones take a short break.

John Shuk
06-20-2007, 9:30 PM
Matt,

I would love to be able to convert the SMC server to FIOS. With that kind of bandwidth we could do streaming video, larger pictures and a host of other cool services.

Some Day.......................

Keith,
I think they are doing work in your general vicinity. Stuff is being made ready for sale very quickly these days.

Keith Outten
06-21-2007, 6:13 AM
John,

Good News!

As soon as FIOS is offered in Gloucester County we want it and I would be glad to bury the conduit from the pole to my shop myself.

Jim Becker
06-21-2007, 8:33 AM
I'm going to talk to somebody about getting Jim Becker hired as a Verizon spokesman.

I don't think I have the "voice" for it...

Yea, well...after my conversation yesterday with a very nice fellow from the community service dept of VZ, I'm going to be going on the war-path with my township. (Yes, the same one that is making me nuts with my building permit) It seems that said township wants too many things that all the surrounding townships didn't need, so VZ completely stopped the build-out last year...I have fiber on my poles, but it isn't going to get lit any time soon. They even had the brass ones to want "franchise fees" on the Internet service...something that is not even legal, as far as I know.

A carefully worded letter to the township is already in progress... :( :( :(

And kudos to VZ...I sent a brief email to the man and a day later I get a direct phone call with informative conversation about the issue as well as some nice chat about how we are both pleased that our mutual employers are working together these days on some profitable things.