PDA

View Full Version : Nova 1642

JOHN VITOSKY
06-19-2007, 11:33 AM
I had seen a while back that some of you had purchased the nova 1642. I would like to know your thoughts and experience with this lathe after owning it a while? I work at our local Woodcraft Parttime for fun money/discounts and put one together the other day. It was better than I thought. Just curious what everyones thoughts on them were. I know there are better lathes but I would like to here from owners. Thanks.

John Gornall
06-19-2007, 12:48 PM
Turning is not my main woodworking interest, however my wife bought me a mini lathe and I found I really enjoy turning. I found the mini just a little small and definitely lacking in power. I bought a Nova 1624 and it suits my needs well. They did a great job of creating this lathe. It's got all the details you need in such a simple package - 1 1/2 hp - speeds down to 200 with power and reverse - indexing - big spindle 1 1/4-8 - rotating head stock - 16 inch swing - 29 inch outboard - spindle tapped for vacumn chuck - tailstock bored for drilling - heavy cast iron - great tool rest - make it as long as you need with bed extensions - Hybrid cast iron and steel stand included. It must have been designed by someone with a clear understanding of the basics of what's needed in a lathe. Nothing fancy and no variable speed (belt is easy to change). It's a big step up from the mini - power and smoothness. Turning is even more fun! To beat it you'd have to spend another 1000 or so.

Ken Genovese
06-19-2007, 3:15 PM
I also, have a 1624. It's a month old and I can't say enough about it. John hit all the high points. Great lathe.

Steve Kubien
06-19-2007, 5:30 PM
I will be picking up a 1624 in a few days (beep beep) and I will let you know what I find. Give me an extra day or two to learn all the parts and wipe off the drool.:eek:

Steve Kubien

Marc Martindale
06-19-2007, 6:14 PM
I also moved from a Jet mini to the Nova 1624, John pretty much nailed the talking points on this lathe.

Gary Franks
06-22-2007, 3:16 PM
I bought a 1624 off the showroom floor, it had a scratch on the motor and I talked them down $100, Got it home, set it up and when I cut it on it made a loud grinding noise then quieted down. I thought great, bent something. After cutting on and off numerous times I found the pulley connected to the drive shaft of the motor was loose, after tightening it up it was smooth as butter. It is a step up from my Delta 1642. I have not had a need to put sand in the legs to dampen any vibration. I do remember a post on here about hanging weight from the leg bolts but I have not turned anything large enough to require doing this yet. Hope you enjoy your lathe alot.

Burt Alcantara
06-24-2007, 3:15 PM
Only problem I have is putting the tailstock back on. Sometimes it just slips in, other times I have to fight it. Motor is a little noisy. Not sure if it's the belt of just its nature. I've tightened the pulley. Should probably give it a dab of blue loctite.

Nick Clayton
06-25-2007, 7:14 AM
I'm no turner, but have had a 1642 since March and have enjoyed it quite a bit. I have the hybrid legs which I have yet to attach a ballast tray to. I think the optional cast iron legs would be both nicer as well as easy to attach ballast to.
I picked up a 5-piece set of Pinnacle tools which are ok, but in retrospect would have opted differently if I could do it over. The handles are pretty long and other than the roughing gauge feels un-balanced. I have since picked up a P&N bowl gouge that I turned a handle for and a Sorby Skew which are both nicer than the Pinnacle.
Just my pennies worth