PDA

View Full Version : Jointer Update

Pat Germain
06-18-2007, 11:21 PM
After consulting the fine folks here at SMC, I decided to buy a Shop Fox W 1741 8" Jointer. I ordered it from Bibb Tool in Georgia.

The jointer arrived today; two days sooner than Bibb promised. It was shipped via YELLOW Transportation. When I went to the YELLOW loading dock to get it, I found the folks there to be very helpful. The clerk let me inspect the crate before I signed for it. He told me to make a note of any damage to the crate on the invoice, but if there was any problem I should let him know. He said they'd never let anyone get stuck with damaged goods.

The crate was scuffed up a little and had what looked like copier toner all over one corner. There was a box banded to the top of the crate which had a small tear. Otherwise, everything looked fine. A guy at YELLOW lowered the crate with the box gently into my pickup. Luckily, it fit perfectly and allowed me to put the tailgate up. (I have an old Jeep Comanche longbed.)

I'm still in the process of assembling the jointer, but everything looks good so far. I bolted the motor to the motor bracket and installed the pivoting wheel. I took the top off the wooden crate and everything appears to be in order; no breaks or cracks visible.

Just wanted to share a positive experience with both Bibb Tool and YELLOW Transportation. I'll post an update as soon as I have the jointer up and running. I still have to install a 220V outlet, so it will be a few days. If anyone would like to see pictures, just say so. I took a few happy snaps as I was uncrating the jointer.

David Tiell
06-19-2007, 8:03 AM
I recently made the same decision as you on the Shop Fox and ordered the W1741. I've been meaning to post about my high level of satisfaction with the order (from Utterguys.com) and the way it was shipped (no problems). But I just got back from being out of town for a few days and have not had the opportunity to mess with it yet. Let us know how things turn out for you once you get it all set up and operating.

Curt Harms
06-19-2007, 8:14 AM
<snip> If anyone would like to see pictures, just say so. I took a few happy snaps as I was uncrating the jointer.
Hi Pat

Congratulations on the new toyl. I don't recall ever hearing of a problem with the Shop Fox jointers. You may be asked by a certain Minnesota based Picture gendarme when pictures became optional. Optional pics are like optional taxes; there ain't no such thing:D.

Curt

Al Willits
06-19-2007, 8:18 AM
Congrats, always good to hear of the good along with the bad experiences.

Let us know how it works for ya.

Al

Jim Becker
06-19-2007, 9:22 AM
I don't see any jointer, Pat... ;) LOL

(Congrats!)

Jeff Miller
06-19-2007, 12:32 PM
No pics., just a tall jointer tale :eek::D;)

JEFF:cool:

Pat Germain
06-19-2007, 12:59 PM
Boy, this group just can't get enough tool pics. It seems I fit in well here. :)

I'll try to get some pics up tonight.

Brad Townsend
06-19-2007, 1:42 PM
Boy, this group just can't get enough tool pics. It seems I fit in well here. :)

I'll try to get some pics up tonight.
Pat,

Most of us have reached the age where pictures of scantily clad women don't get a second notice, but pictures of a new jointer can get our hearts racing.

Yes, we are pathetic.

Pat Germain
06-19-2007, 2:14 PM
^^ I can relate. I was showing a car for a friend at the Rocky Mountain Mustang Roundup in Steamboat Springs last weekend. There were some really stunning women walking around that show as well as other events. Yeah, I noticed, but I got more excited about seeing six BOSS 302's in a row! Oh, and three Shelby GT 500 KRs! Not to mention both California and High Country Specials! And, man, there were some nice '69 and '70 Mach I cars. I was showing a 68 GT convertible and was surrounded by some amazing 67-68 convertibles. A local Ford dealer even brought a GT-40, and a Parnelli Jones Special Edition, and there were new Shelby GT 500s and... :cool:

Minh Nguyen
06-19-2007, 4:53 PM
Those two items (the scantily clad women and the jointer) aren't mutually exclusive. How avout a scantily clad women infront (yes front) of the jointer. :p

Pat,

Most of us have reached the age where pictures of scantily clad women don't get a second notice, but pictures of a new jointer can get our hearts racing.

Yes, we are pathetic.

Aaron Hamilton
06-19-2007, 5:06 PM
Congrats on the new jointer Pat....you'll be very pleased with your purchase. It's a finely constructed machine and my results have been great. Take your time setting it up...check each pulley, belt, knife, and table.

Have fun and don't pull any muscles!

Pat Germain
06-19-2007, 8:35 PM
OK guys, here's a few happy snaps I took of the new jointer. As you can see, there are two numbers missing from the model number on the front of the stand. I don't know if they fell off during shipping or while I was unpacking. I haven't found the numbers. If that's the only "damage", I can certainly live with it.

Brad Townsend
06-19-2007, 9:05 PM
OK guys, here's a few happy snaps I took of the new jointer. As you can see, there are two numbers missing from the model number on the front of the stand. I don't know if they fell off during shipping or while I was unpacking. I haven't found the numbers. If that's the only "damage", I can certainly live with it.
That just makes it more valuable. You have the only model W71 in existence.:D

Aaron Hamilton
06-20-2007, 10:37 AM
Pat,
Now this is hilarious! My jointer was missing the 7 and the 1 but I had the 1 and the 4 - I think they ran out of numbers and just split them between ours? Oh well, the military grade Shop Fox emblem makes up for the lack of plastic sticky numbers

Pat Germain
06-20-2007, 12:21 PM
Oh well, the military grade Shop Fox emblem makes up for the lack of plastic sticky numbers

Yeah. I assumed that was a sticker when looking at pictures. It's more of a bronze plaque. :)

Bob Feeser
06-20-2007, 1:54 PM
I have to totally agree with Aaron. "Congrats on the new jointer Pat....you'll be very pleased with your purchase. It's a finely constructed machine and my results have been great. Take your time setting it up...check each pulley, belt, knife, and table."

Make sure each and every blade is secured well. Check the drum etc. I have heard their are those who turned on a new unit, with blades that did not get tightened, and imagine what a noise that must have been.

This is not relative to the Fox or any specific model, but worth noting. I am sure it is a rare occurence, but the minute it takes to check the blades etc. is time well spent. I also check the fence for clearance.

You know the old story about get a car built on any day but a Friday. Well the same holds true here.

Looks like you have a great jointer. I bought an 8", and remember when it arrived. Seeing your pictures gives me a craving for another big box toy. Now if I can just figure out how to afford it. :)

Pat Germain
06-20-2007, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the tip, Bob. I'll be sure to check the knives before I fire it up.

I still haven't got the jointer completely assembled. It's taking me a lot of time just clean all the oil off everything. There's also that copier toner stuff all over the place. It actually left some black splotches on the fence when it mixed with the coating oil. It's just cosmetic, but I'm going to try a solvent to get it clean. I don't like seeing black splotches on my new jointer. ;)

Al Willits
06-21-2007, 8:54 AM
""""""""""
"""""""""

Not so sure, I still give them a second look, usually while Beasty is looking at me.....:eek:
Let the beatings begin...:D

I second the check the tolerances before using, my planer was pretty close, but the jointer was a few thou off, not much but I went though and checked everything I could.

Enjoy.

Al

Pat Germain
06-24-2007, 11:39 AM
After cleaning about five gallons of coating oil and a few pounds of copier toner off my jointer, it's finally together.

I noticed the fence has a long "nub" on the bottom on the outfeed side. This makes most of the fence sit above the tables. Is this nub supposed to be there? It seems it would interfere with the fence geometry if I put the fence at any kind of angle. :confused:

Jake Helmboldt
06-24-2007, 10:10 PM
Pat, that nub minimizes the drag of the fence. You'll find it on all the other jointers as well. Ask me how I know.;)

That said, I've been meaning to get a small roll of the UHMW tape from Woodcraft to stick a piece on the bottom. Others have done so and it makes the fence slide more easily and reduces scratches.