PDA

View Full Version : Splitter help

Jess Wetherhold
06-18-2007, 4:55 PM
Does anyone have a JET JWSS supersaw and if so what do you use as a splitter? Biesemeyer informed me today that they do not manufacture one for the saw and I can't seem to find anything of quality out there. I did see that the Shark Guard may work but I am not really familiar with the product and I only want the splitter. The factory guard and splitter came bent but I wouldn't use that one anyway.
Any help at all will be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Jess Wetherhold

Bob Herpolsheimer
06-18-2007, 9:52 PM
I have a sears zip code saw. The splitter set up looks very similar to mine. I bought an extra splitter from sears (no guard) and cut it in two and only used the front half. I did some fabrication on the connection point behind the blade by drilling and tapping for a thumbscrew. It works great. The thumbscrew hold it securely but is easily removed for dado work. Best of all the cost was about $15

Jess Wetherhold
06-19-2007, 12:38 PM
I did take the guard off the factory splitter but it was so flimsy I don't want to use it. Another option is the $15 splitter at Rockler. I guess I was hoping a few folks would give me more options.
Thanks for your idea Bob. I will see what I can come up with.

Brad Townsend
06-19-2007, 1:36 PM
If you just want a splitter, here's another option:

http://www.microjig.com/MJ%20Splitter.htm

I have never used one and know nothing about them.

If there is a Shark Guard to fit your saw, it may be more than you think you want, but I think you would really like it once you had it. The splitters (it comes with more than one) and guard are far superior to OEM ones for both dust collection and ease of use.

Brent Dowell
06-19-2007, 2:06 PM
I use one fo these, and it seems to work just fine. I originally made my own ZCI and glued a piece of wood the same thickness of the blade for a splitter. It worked fine, but I really like being able to take out the MC splitter for when I'm not doing through cuts etc...

glenn bradley
06-19-2007, 3:50 PM
I use shop made ZCI's and the MJ microSplitter. Some folks don't like this because it is only for 90* cuts but that's what I use the TS for 99% of the time.

Brent's idea is a good one but I do like being able to just pop out the MJ whenever required.

Jim Thiel
06-19-2007, 4:15 PM
Have you looked at the delta removable? Lots of folks have used it on different saws. This is one jet with the delta workaround. http://www.mv.com/users/besposito/woodworking/deltasplitter/

The good news, you can use it on the bevel, but it looks like there is some putzing involved.

Jim

Jess Wetherhold
06-19-2007, 7:23 PM
Thanks very much for the replies. I know this should be a very simple task but I unfortunately there isn't much out there for this saw. I am renting my home at the moment and was forced to run everything in the shop on 110 so the pm2000 I had my eye on was out the window for a while.
So yeah, the MC splitter was the one I was referring to from Rockler and since you all to give it praise I think I will go for it. How can you lose with a $15 investment?
Jim- I did look over that Delta for Jet page the other day but his saw has a different configuration. It was a good read though.
Thanks guys!