PDA

View Full Version : Stearate free sandpaper

Byron Trantham
06-18-2007, 3:26 PM
What is stearate-free sandpaper? Or which sand paper contains stearates?

Jim Becker
06-18-2007, 3:32 PM
Serrates (like soap, in a sense) is added to some abrasives to help them reject clogging between the grits. It's a nice feature when it's acceptable to your finish. Unfortunately, most water-borne finishes do not like serrates...Target Coatings specifically states that they should not be used, for example, as they can cause problems like fish-eye. (Trust me...they are correct... :( ) Most abrasives that have serrates have a white or pastel color, but not all...it's sometimes labeled but not always.

Matt Meiser
06-18-2007, 6:55 PM
Two papers that I was told don't contain sterrates are the Mirka Gold and Festool sandpapers.

glenn bradley
06-18-2007, 8:49 PM
Highland woodworking had this to say:

"Norton coats these belts with a waterbased stearate to help prevent clogging. In our tests, we found the coating did not cause finish contamination or wood discoloration. So, it's safe for use on any raw wood or finish, including waterborne finishes if all the dust is removed (Norton Red Dry Tack Cloth, 156728). "

I use 3X but have not moved to WB finishes and so cannot confirm. I imagine "if all the dust is removed " is a big IF but do not know. . . . anybody?

Byron Trantham
06-19-2007, 7:25 AM
I just looked at the container my Norton 3X sandpaper came in and there is no mention of stearates. Also the sheet of paper itself dosen't not mention stearates.

Byron Trantham
06-19-2007, 7:28 AM
Highland woodworking had this to say:

"Norton coats these belts with a waterbased stearate to help prevent clogging. In our tests, we found the coating did not cause finish contamination or wood discoloration. So, it's safe for use on any raw wood or finish, including waterborne finishes if all the dust is removed (Norton Red Dry Tack Cloth, 156728). "

I use 3X but have not moved to WB finishes and so cannot confirm. I imagine "if all the dust is removed " is a big IF but do not know. . . . anybody?

I don't use their belts but I do use their 3X line of paper. For the most part, all I use is WB material. I can't say that I have noticed any issue with their paper and WB products but I sure wish I could get a definitive answer - Yes or No.:confused:

Byron Trantham
06-19-2007, 7:29 AM
Two papers that I was told don't contain sterrates are the Mirka Gold and Festool sandpapers.

I use Mirka for my ROS. This is good to know. Thanks.

John W Parker
06-19-2007, 7:55 AM
3M Freecut gold is safe to use for water based finishes. It is called 216U. I have used it for the last couple of years with good results. I get it from a local auto body supply.

Jack Briggs
06-19-2007, 8:03 AM
+1 on 216U Frecut Gold. The best all around abrasive I've used in years.

Byron Trantham
06-19-2007, 8:23 AM
I went out on the net and found out that Norton 3X products are made with "waterbased stearates". They claim its good for any finish. I think I will go to Target Coatings and them if they know of any problems using the Norton line of papers.

Byron Trantham
06-19-2007, 8:33 AM
I went out to the Target Coatings site and found out that they sell the Mikura line of sand paper. Reading the specs I found out that Mikura ALSO uses stearates. I posted a question to them asking about the stearates and Oxford WB finishes. I will post the answer when I get it.

Larry Fox
06-19-2007, 9:24 AM
IIRC, if you search the Target Forums for Sterates Jeff addresses the sterate / Mirka issue. I use Mirka Bulldog Gold and 3M Freecut gold 216U for anything that will have a WB finish and have never had any problems.

Bill White
06-19-2007, 11:19 AM
Just got through finishing our new front door. Used a waterborn poly for the final coats (5) without any stearate-related problems. Love the stuff 'cause it's SO easy to use.
Bill

glenn bradley
06-19-2007, 11:40 AM
Thanks Byron. That's good news for me as I have an abundant supply of 3X sheets and discs and really like the paper.