PDA

View Full Version : Belt question

Mike Vickery
06-18-2007, 1:07 PM
I am thinking that I need a new belt for my woodfast 910.

The problem is I know nothing about belts and do not want to take the lathe apart until I have the replacement.
The belt says Contitech 3997 PJ1550/610J and it has 6 v grooves in the belt. I emailed Contitech but they have not responded and they do not seem like they sell to individuals on their site.
Is this all of the information that I need to order a new belt? Also does anyone have a good source to order belts? I want to get a good belt since the desert is pretty rough environment and I would like to not have to replace it for a while. I bought the lathe used and I would guess the belt is about 6 years old (original belt).

Thanks in advance.

Ron Sardo
06-18-2007, 1:25 PM
Try This
http://tinyurl.com/2mf2av

Mike Vickery
06-18-2007, 1:56 PM
Thanks Ron I found them already but they did not return my e-mail.

I think I have found everything I need except a supplier.
For anyone interested in the information.

PJ1550 - Metrics belt size PJ belt style (size of v's) 1550 metric Length
610j - Imperial size (610 = 61 inches, j belt style)

Most manufacturers will have the number of ribs after the numer so my belt would be something like 610j6 ( the last 6 is because I have 6 ribs in my belt)

Still looking for a good supplier if anyone has one, or else I am just going to try the auto store to see if they have them.

Ron Sardo
06-18-2007, 2:21 PM
Try this then
http://tinyurl.com/2f2vjd

Mike Vickery
06-18-2007, 6:36 PM
Thanks Ron I actually saw that one but I do not get a good feeling about putting a belt for an exercise bike in my lathe. I would like to put as good a belt as I can in it.

Come on some one has to know where you can buy poly v belts. Just give me a hint every place I call has no idea what I am talking about.

Jim Milne
06-18-2007, 7:40 PM
Thanks Ron I actually saw that one but I do not get a good feeling about putting a belt for an exercise bike in my lathe. I would like to put as good a belt as I can in it.

Come on some one has to know where you can buy poly v belts. Just give me a hint every place I call has no idea what I am talking about.

Mike, try Motion Industries...locations in US & Canada.
https://www.motionindustries.com/motion3/jsp/mi/motion.jsp

select Products > Mechanical > Belts and Sheaves

They just may have or can get what you are looking for.
Jim

Dick Strauss
06-18-2007, 11:13 PM
Mike,
Have you tried the local auto parts store? I apologize if I'm off base. I'll bet auto belts would outlast the OEM belts for the lathe if you can find the right one. Try to get a better brand like Gates...

Good luck,
Dick

Bill Turpin
06-18-2007, 11:14 PM
Part # 9003K81 about $16.

Bill

joe greiner
06-18-2007, 11:29 PM
I'd recommend trying the auto parts store(s). That style belt is now quite common in serpentine belts. I also suggest buying two, in case the first one breaks on a Sunday afternoon, or late at night.

Joe

Chuck Lenz
06-19-2007, 12:01 AM
Automotive pulleys have a different side pitch then electric motor pulleys. I'm not sure I'd recomend a automotive belt. I'd try Motion industies as posted earlier. I've had good luck with them on other stuff.

Mike Vickery
06-19-2007, 11:13 AM
Thanks guys motion industries does carry the belts I need and seem like they will sell to consumers, though their site would not let me order it last night.

And yes auto belts usually use a K section poly-v belt that would not fit.

Mark Hubbs
06-19-2007, 6:17 PM
I got an odd size of "J" belt from these folks for my English Record Power lathe. They were $8 each and they only charged me actual postage of 63 Cents!:D

http://www.beltsforanything.com/site1.php

Mike Vickery
06-19-2007, 6:57 PM
Thanks guys. Definately a couple sites that made their way into my bookmarks. Not sure why I had such a hard time finding it yesterday.

I did in fact order the belt I needed and a spare this morning. I liked the motion industried site the best because they told me the belt manufacturer. If any ones cares I got a gates belt and when I called it was even cheaper then on their site under $12.