PDA

View Full Version : AC in the shop questions?

Neville Stewart
06-18-2007, 10:37 AM
Hey all, I'm in Austin Texas and the shop is not very comfortable during the summer so I was contemplating ( trying to decide which one ) AC for the shop. I was looking at those "split systems" as I dont want a big closet & ductwork in the shop. I did find a 3 ton unit that is one condenser & three fans which would be ideal in my situation. I have an office "upstairs a handtool/finish room below that & the rest is open. Walls are SIP foam and I have made insulated doors that do a decent job - so generally a tight building - any advice would be great thanks Neville

Dennis Peacock
06-18-2007, 11:14 AM
I cool my shop with 2 window A/C units. While it doesn't keep it in the 70's in the heat of the summer, it doesn't keep it in the 80's in the summer. I'd like to have about a 3 ton unit for summer shop cooling.....in time.....in time.

Jim Becker
06-18-2007, 3:28 PM
A lot of folks speak favorably about the split systems and they do reduce the complication of installation. The multi-unit system you describe would be very nice for a shop/office situation, IMHO. Just be sure that the vendor/installer does the calculations to insure it's suitable for your building. (should be, but...)

Randy Denby
06-18-2007, 4:19 PM
SIP's are very energy efficient. Might be best to have someone run a heat load calcuation to size it correctly. Standard BTU/ foot is thrown out the window with SIP's. Most contractors should have calculation software. There are a couple of free calc software on the net. If you need it, I'll look it up in my favorites.If your going to turn it off when not working , then plan to upsize it a little for make up capacity.

I hope my reply makes sense....This was just a quick reply.....I am so swamped !!!

Richard Butler
06-18-2007, 4:55 PM
Dont want a big closet? Get a horizontal flow air handler and hang it from the ceiling or up in the attic. Add one big duct and you are in buisness.