PDA

View Full Version : Four Peppermils

Wayne Bitting
06-18-2007, 8:00 AM
Now that my flatwork is finally done, I wanted to try something new so I tried out making peppermills. After a couple of trials, people at work wanted their own. I sketched out a few shapes and let them pick out what they wanted. The choices were walnut or ash for the body and the tops were up to me. For the tops there is a box elder, two curly maple and one splated maple. They are all about 8” tall. I have a few more to do before being able to do one for us to use at home, but based on history - I'm sure another pipe will break and flood the house preventing me from getting it done anytime soon. Comments (the good, the bad or the ugly) are welcomed! Thanks for looking.

Blake McCully
06-18-2007, 8:05 AM
Wayne,
The profile on those mills is really great. I'm not sure I like the contrasting wood on the tops, but that's my own thoughts.

How did you finish them?

Bernie Weishapl
06-18-2007, 10:12 AM
Wayne I really like your form on them and the finish is great. I would like to see one made totally of walnut and ash. Great job on these.

Steve Schlumpf
06-18-2007, 10:39 AM
Nice work Wayne! Great form and really nice looking finishes! Like Blake - I'm not to sure about the contrasting wood tops.

Keith Burns
06-18-2007, 11:01 AM
Nice Mills Wayne ! The contrasting woods don't work for me, but thats me. If you and the reciepients like them, thats whats important !

Paul Engle
06-18-2007, 3:28 PM
Yep , the shapes are very good, not sure if I like the mixed woods tho, could be just me. Have you see the ones where a profile is made of someones face and the mill is cut to that profile, then a couple could get a salt and pepper mill with their own profile/s. Keep up the good work Wayne:D . I really like the profile on the walnut/ ash (?) ones.

Montgomery Scott
06-18-2007, 3:52 PM
I like the form of the lower portion of the mills and the upper portion of the last one, but the tops of the first three look odd and top heavy. I prefer a simpler curvilinear form like you've shown on the last one. I, as well, don't care for the discontinuity of the wood types from bottom to top. You might want to experiment with segmented/laminated designs if you like mutliple woods.

Wayne Bitting
06-18-2007, 9:46 PM
I thought that the contrasting woods were really nice, but while the people who bought them liked them, my wife doesn't like the contrasting woods either so the ones for home will be solid walnut. I think the walnut was boring and not much for grain so I'll have to emblish them a little somehow. And I forgot, the finish was sanded to 400, EEE ultra shine, Danish oil and then buffed. Thanks for the comments!

Stephen Hibbs
06-18-2007, 11:24 PM
Wayne, as someone else mentioned, you should try some segmenting or laminating to spice up the walnut. Nice work on the ones you've already made, btw