PDA

View Full Version : Basic Confetti Lamp

Wayne Bitting
06-18-2007, 7:54 AM
I did this one a while ago, but never photoed it. Just a basic spalted maple confetti lamp. I was holding on to this chunk of wood for a while and never knew what to do with it. I was a little disappointed on what the wood actually looked like once I got into it, but that’s why we turn wood – for the surprise inside! Sanded to 400, then Danish oiled and buffed. I'll take the good and bad comments on anything from the picture itself to the turning. Thanks for looking!

Mark Cothren
06-18-2007, 8:56 AM
Hey Wayne, that's a fine looking lamp! But it sure looks just like some Sycamore that I've been turning... what flavor of Maple is this?

Bernie Weishapl
06-18-2007, 10:14 AM
Wayne that is a beauty. I was going to ask the same question about what flavor of maple is it? Nice job.

Steve Schlumpf
06-18-2007, 10:36 AM
Looks good Wayne! Nice form and I really like your finish!

Ernie Nyvall
06-18-2007, 6:52 PM
Nice little lamp Wayne. I kinda like the grain in that wood.

Wayne Bitting
06-18-2007, 9:41 PM
I'm not sure what type of maple it is. I picked it up a couple of years ago and it was always too small for anything that I wanted to do with it. Before chopping into it, it looked and felt like suede. When I got it spinning it looked like there was two uniform overlapping grain patterns. Not what I expected, but from one side it looks great, the other side is a bit lame.