PDA

View Full Version : Another installment on the pen kick

Patrick Taylor
06-18-2007, 12:06 AM
We're frantically preparing for a kitchen remodeling job that starts Tuesday, but I managed to crank out a few pens. Like Shane, I'm having a ton of fun doing these. Talk about instant gratification!
Cocobolo, with only a polish for finish.
Imbuia, finished with Liberon friction polish and the Liberon stick wax. Many, many coats of both.
Curly maple, finished with polish and Butcher's paste wax (many many many coats! this wood just sucked up everything I put on it).
Bolivian rosewood, finished with Hut crystal coat friction polish, followed by liberon stick wax.I've been adding a bit of contour to the slimlines. I like the extra curvyness, but it's easy to overdo it.

Shane Whitlock
06-18-2007, 12:25 AM
Looking good Patrick ... They are fun to make :)
I really like the cocobolo pen. I also like the slight bulge on them.

Happy Turning,
Shane Whitlock

Patrick Taylor
06-18-2007, 12:30 AM
Looking good Patrick ... They are fun to make :)
I really like the cocobolo pen. I also like the slight bulge on them.

Happy Turning,
Shane Whitlock

Thanks :) I blame you for starting me on this "detour" from my regular turning! ;)

Marc Martindale
06-18-2007, 1:06 AM
Hey Patrick, Nice looking pens! As a beginning turner I find it is nice to whip out a pen to keep my confidence up. They are easy, always look good, and don't take long to make. When I have more time I try to go back to trying to tackle the bowl turning...

Paul Heely
06-18-2007, 7:13 AM
Very nice Patrick. I find the instant gratification with pens is addicting and when I do mess one up I'm only out a little bit of time and material.

Really like the look of the curly maple on a pen. I'm going to have to find some soon for some of my pens.

Thanks for sharing.

Patrick Taylor
06-18-2007, 7:51 AM
Very nice Patrick. I find the instant gratification with pens is addicting and when I do mess one up I'm only out a little bit of time and material.

Really like the look of the curly maple on a pen. I'm going to have to find some soon for some of my pens.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks. The maple came from the 'bay, and the seller (rainshadow1) said yesterday he's bucking some more of this soon.

Jeffrey Fusaro
06-18-2007, 8:16 AM
nice set of pens, patrick.

the slight curvature that you have added looks good. elegant, and not over done.

Bernie Weishapl
06-18-2007, 10:31 AM
Patrick those are great looking pens. I like the bulge you put on them. Nice job.

Steve Schlumpf
06-18-2007, 10:35 AM
Great looking pens! I like your slight design modification - I am sure they would be just a little easier to handle! I like the curly maple best as it almost looks like burl - nice figuring! Keep up the good work!

Patrick Taylor
06-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Great looking pens! I like your slight design modification - I am sure they would be just a little easier to handle! I like the curly maple best as it almost looks like burl - nice figuring! Keep up the good work!

Thanks Steve. The curly maple was dirt cheap off ebay from a friendly seller. PM me if you want his contact info.

Ernie Nyvall
06-18-2007, 7:19 PM
Nice job on the pens Patrick. I like the contour.