PDA

View Full Version : Stanley #180 cleaned, assembled, and polished!

Dominic Greco
06-17-2007, 10:32 PM
A couple weeks ago I posted a question here that asked if anyone knew much about the Stanley 180 Rabbit Plane. I got some good feedback and decided to keep it (rather than sell it) and clean it up.

Using a part number I got from Clint Jones, I was able to buy a replacement depth stop directly from Stanley for $10 (+S&H).

While I waited for the parts to arrive, I flattened the bottom and polished it to 1500 grit. After that I cleaned the entire assembly with a mineral spirits and a brass brush. All the individual parts were cleaned, and given a coat of oil or wax. The back of the blade(s) (I had 2) were flattened, and the blades were sharpened.

However, when the parts arrived later that week I found that the replacement knurled bolt did not fit in the tapped hole in the plane body. So I attempted to find the bolt/hole size (unsuccessfully I might add). Try as I might I could not find the correct match. After searching for several days, I decided to retap the hole to #10-32 and be done with it. While I was at it, I also recut the threads on the replacement knurled bolt to #10-32 as well. It was an easy process and took all of ten minutes.

Once it was assembled, it performed surprisingly well! I look forward to the next time I need to tweak a tennon to get perfect fit.

What do you think?

I'm on a roll now! I think my next plane to restore will be that old wood jack plane I just picked up last week, or a Union (Maybe Sargent?) #6 Jointer.

Thanks for viewing.

Ryan Cathey
06-17-2007, 10:54 PM
Oh, I've got one like that. I didn't realize the number or I would've offered my opinon. How do you set the depth of cut? I can't seem to get mine right.

gregory sprouls
06-17-2007, 11:37 PM
nice job! a little paint and that would look brand new! what did you use to sand it with?

Clint Jones
06-17-2007, 11:37 PM
Dominic,
Looks great. If you dont like it you can always use the bottom as a small mirror to trim nose hairs:D . I am sure you will enjoy using the plane it is good to trim rabbets with (not the furry kind).

Dominic Greco
06-18-2007, 8:07 AM
nice job! a little paint and that would look brand new! what did you use to sand it with?

Thanks for the compliments. But I probably won't bother to paint it. I just don't have the time nor the inclination. Besides, I'd just nick it up.

As far as sanding goes, I used the "Scary Sharp method".

I started with a piece of sheet glass 14" wide x 30" long. I cut up strips of sandpaper 3 1/2" wide and used spray adhesive to hold them down end to end. It made it look like one continuous sheet. I started with 60 grit, next was 80, then 120. On the other side of the glass sheet I had 240, 400, then 600. On another sheet I had 800, 1000, and then 1500. Once you get to 600, thats when the surfaces start to take on a mirror finish.

BTW, I sharpened the blade using the same sandpaper. However, I finished off with a 4000 grit waterstone.

Dominic Greco
06-18-2007, 8:08 AM
Dominic,
Looks great. If you dont like it you can always use the bottom as a small mirror to trim nose hairs:D . I am sure you will enjoy using the plane it is good to trim rabbets with (not the furry kind).

Thanks again for that parts list. I would not have never found the replacement depth gage as easily without it.

Dominic Greco
06-18-2007, 8:12 AM
Oh, I've got one like that. I didn't realize the number or I would've offered my opinon. How do you set the depth of cut? I can't seem to get mine right.

Ryan,
When I posted this on Woodcentral, I was pointed to a book titled "Planecraft" and sold by Woodcraft. This book details the use of such hand planes. However, I haven't gotten around to ordering it yet!

Ryan Cathey
06-18-2007, 3:31 PM
Oh well. Thanks anyways.