PDA

View Full Version : What's a "Dry Sink"

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-17-2007, 9:35 PM
As used by some who pots plants - - - a gardener.

I know there's a water retaining tub in a cabinet of some sort but what is the point of the tub?

Jim Becker
06-17-2007, 9:49 PM
To keep you from splattering the stuff all over while you get potted...err...well, you know what I mean!

mike holden
06-18-2007, 8:58 AM
Well youngster,
back in the days of outdoor wells, water was pumped into buckets and brought indoors. The sink was filled from the bucket (cold) and from the kettle (hot) and dishes washed, babies bathed, etc.
As indoor plumbing became popular, the older sinks were distinguished from newer by the appellation "dry sink" meaning that it did not have running water directly available. Potting sheds generally have dry sinks, although the current rage is to have a garden hose hook up and taps on the sink lip, so they are stretching the definition somewhat.

The point of the tub is the same as always, contain the working liquid.

Mike (sounding MUCH older than I feel!)

Lee Schierer
06-18-2007, 1:06 PM
Around these parts a dry sink refers to a dresser type cabinet or a stand to hold a wash basin and pitcher for washing. Most have towel racks on the side and many have mirrors for shaving. Some had the sinks (bowls) inset and others just had a lower top with side rails where the bowl and pitcher would sit. There was no drain or faucets. http://www.canadianhomeworkshop.com/proj/photos/sink1.jpg

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-18-2007, 2:44 PM
Sooooo it's pretty much what I thought. At least in modern terms it's much ado about nuthing coz I'm guessing a potting bench with a hose handy is plenty good enough.

Martin Shupe
06-18-2007, 3:55 PM
Around these parts a dry sink refers to a dresser type cabinet or a stand to hold a wash basin and pitcher for washing. Most have towel racks on the side and many have mirrors for shaving. Some had the sinks (bowls) inset and others just had a lower top with side rails where the bowl and pitcher would sit. There was no drain or faucets. http://www.canadianhomeworkshop.com/proj/photos/sink1.jpg

Hey Lee, have you built that one? I have that plan in my plan stash somewhere. I like it, but have not had the time to build it yet.

Lee Schierer
06-18-2007, 9:26 PM
Hey Lee, have you built that one? I have that plan in my plan stash somewhere. I like it, but have not had the time to build it yet.

Actually, I've never built a dry sink. I googled dry sink and came up with that photo. Can't say that any one in the family has wanted a dry sink so far. It shouldn't be any harder than a dresser or changining table. There are lots of different styles around depending upon your furniture period tastes.

Andy Hoyt
06-18-2007, 10:10 PM
Our kitchen cabinetry is the original thing dating back to 1905 when the house was built (Yup, 6/4 shelves and carcasses). This includes a copper-lined dry sink that is now plumbed directly to the cellar floor and then it trickles into a sump pit. To feed it, we open a window and pass in the garden hose. Needless to say, it doesn't get much use, but sure is pretty when loaded up with fresh cut flowers, fruit, and stuff.