PDA

View Full Version : How to remove iron from siding and windows?

Brian Elfert
06-17-2007, 8:44 PM
I have been sprinkling some new sod like crazy to keep it alive over the past five days. I noticed today that the seamless steel siding and Andersen window frames are all colored light brown from iron in the water.

Any suggestions to remove this? Fortunately, this is only short term not months or years like houses I have seen. I don't normally water my lawn at all.

Brian Elfert

Matt Meiser
06-17-2007, 9:20 PM
We have high iron content in our water and I've found that CLR does a good job of getting rid of it on things like the toilets, shower, etc. Not sure how safe it is around plants though. I'd also test anything on an inconspicuous spot to make sure it isn't going to leave a mark or clean the areas you put it on too much (unless you want to wash the entire house with it.)

Ryan Myers
06-18-2007, 12:13 AM
There is also a product called Iron Out, which you can buy at Lowe's in the cleaning section. It is specially formulated for removing rust stains.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-18-2007, 7:16 AM
I have has success with Iron out - - it's slow real slow It works better in a water softener where it's got time to work.

Never seen CLR do anything at all.

My go-to treatment for iron and rust is Muriatic acid
Dilute some and wear rubber gloves and wipe on wipe off.

It will instantly lift the iron. Dilute it tho. It's already 20% hydrochloric in water but that's still lots stronger than you need - or want.

Brian Elfert
06-18-2007, 8:24 AM
Would muratic acid damage my steel siding or the vinyl exteriors of my Andersen windows?

Brian Elfert

Matt Meiser
06-18-2007, 8:47 AM
With the steel siding, I'd be worried about taking off any of the chalky weathered finish they all seem to get regardless of what you use.

One other thing I thought of is vinegar. I have no idea if it would work on rust, but my dad swears by it for removing mineral deposits on everything in his house.

Mike Sheppard
06-19-2007, 7:56 AM
Brian
We have a lot of iron in our water and I use "oxlic acid" [I think that's how it's spelled]. We get it at our Drug store in dry form mix with water a wipe let set and rinse off. It's what wood bleach is made from and will do the job also.
Mike

Brian Elfert
06-19-2007, 10:26 PM
With the steel siding, I'd be worried about taking off any of the chalky weathered finish they all seem to get regardless of what you use.

One other thing I thought of is vinegar. I have no idea if it would work on rust, but my dad swears by it for removing mineral deposits on everything in his house.

I don't have any chalking on my steel siding, but it is only 6 years old.

I'll try vinegar, but I have my doubts. I'm not going to try washing the siding until the sod is a bit more established.

Brian Elfert

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-20-2007, 10:57 AM
Would muratic acid damage my steel siding or the vinyl exteriors of my Andersen windows?

Brian Elfert

A dilute solution (or even straight from the bottle) won't do any thing to the Vinyl so long as you hose it off some time that day or that week.

As to the Steel: If there are pits in the finish it will attack the steel make 'em bigger and the pits will exude rust. However if there are pits they should be rusting already if there are pits cause the water should be doing that but the acid will be more aggressive.

If the finish is zink ( never heard of zink siding) don't use any acid at all on it ever.

If it's a powder coat enamel acid should not harm it at all. However, to cover your bases call the manufacturer. They'll probably hand you some backside covering answer that leaves you with cleaning it with TSP, wishful thoughts, and prayers.