PDA

View Full Version : Moving a wood lathe by dog sled

George Troy Hurlburt
03-01-2003, 6:21 PM
I got a new Vicmarc VL300ES Friday. Requested lift gate delivery. Trucking company brought out a Semi-truck with 45' trailer. Because of snow he could not get to my house. I live out in country(Central Kansas). So he dropped on the road a 1/4" from my house. I dragged the sled to my shop as you can see, I had some doggy help. GT

Bob Lasley
03-01-2003, 6:25 PM
George,

I'll bet there's not another person in Kansas that can say their lathe was deliverd by sled, dog or otherwise!

Thanks for the pic,
Bob

John Miliunas
03-01-2003, 9:17 PM
Wait just a dog-gone minute! Me thinks there's a definite "Gloat Post" violation here! Just for that, George, you get to trade that Vicmarc for my barely used Yorkcraft, 1236! I'll be down sometime this week to make the trade. :D Seriously, you're one lucky dog! I'm green with envy! You enjoy that new piece and give that pup an extra bone, willya'. :cool:

Al Crandall
03-02-2003, 3:06 AM
I need to find a way to get a lathe from the street to my shop which is about 300' from the road with no driveway back to it. I'm hoping to drag it across the lawn through 6" of snow. Should be a real test of my problem solving abilities. Wanna help? :D

John Kidner
03-02-2003, 9:59 AM
George, I have been researching the field for a new lathe and the Vicmarc 300 was one of the ones on the list. But there is no dealer or owner that I know of in my area and I have not been able to get any first or second hand knowledge about the beast. It would be great if you would post a review for the rest of us who are still using a $300 lathe from Sears.:D

Gary Hern
03-02-2003, 1:22 PM
George,

that Dalmation would have looked more correct had he been sitting on top of Vicky for the ride. Glad you got her home safe!

George Troy Hurlburt
03-02-2003, 8:01 PM
Hi John,
I got my Vicmarc from http://www.1goodturn.net/. This machine comes from Australia and I wanted it, just the way they build it. I have other lathes, but wanted more swing. This machine has a 24" swing and will go up to 36" outboard. I do segmented turning and can build a large bowl or platter. Important to me was the spindle size of 1 1/4" x8. I have chucks and faceplates this size. I have turned on the Vicmarc already. It is smooth, heavy, and well constructed. The computer ramps up or down fast. It is quite, you just dial in the speed you want. The big red stop bar is great. The stand built in Australia is heavy steel with a shavings & dust chute. The Vicmarc comes with a high quality double bearing live center and drive spur. The tailstock moves easily and locks solid. You have a big chrome steel handle and that live center moves back and forth just like it was on ball bearings. At the headstock is a locking collar that you can use to secure your chucks or faceplates when you reverse. You have a window that you can see what index number you are on. The banjo is massive and features a tool support with a 1 1/8" shaft. Banjo handles are out of the way and easy to lock the tool rest with out a hassle. If you do a web search for a Vicmarc Vl300 you will find a dealer in Eastern Canada. I will show you a pic of the machine from the back which is hard to find anywhere. If you buy the Vicmarc you will need to make no excuses for it. GTH