PDA

View Full Version : Pool Filter/Pump Housing Advice

Keith Starosta
06-17-2007, 4:48 PM
I was originally going to post this in the Design Forum, but since it's for a woodworkering project, and I need this to get a wider viewing, I put it here. Dennis, if you feel like it should be moved, it's okay.

Anyway, I need to get some opinions from the collective wisdom here for something that I need to take care of quickly. The 'works' for our pool sit at the very back of our yard, right up against our board-on-board wooden fence. I was told when the pool was installed (Spring, '03) that I should try and build some sort of covering for the pump/filter so as to avoid any UV damage to the hoses. Well, I never quite got around to that. :rolleyes: Now, I'm starting to see the beginnings of some hose wear, plus I'm just tired of looking at it. I want to build an enclosure that will allow easy access, but still protect everything. I need to have access all the way around the unit(s), from the sides and the top. I don't want to get too fancy. Pressure-treated wood will do. Please take a look at the pics, and possibly offer some ideas. Thanks very much in advance!!

- Keith

Jim Becker
06-17-2007, 4:58 PM
Four corner posts to provide a roof slope for a fixed (or removable) roof. Removable sides that match the fence, more or less. Done.

Gary Bordeaux
06-17-2007, 8:20 PM
I would be worried about the chlorine feeder and return plumbing hanging unsupported off of the multiport valve than damage from UV.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-17-2007, 9:38 PM
I would be worried about the chlorine feeder and return plumbing hanging unsupported off of the multiport valve than damage from UV.

Yah what that guy said and it looks like you have trees. They will block the sun plenty.

Eugene A. Manzo III
06-18-2007, 7:35 PM
I happen to be a Certified N.S.P.I. Tech II

First I would Listen to what was said about the Chlorine feeder being help by just the piping that is a no-no. I would Pour a concrete slab
maybe 4'x4' with some anchor bolts around perimiter and build frame to bolt to the slab with removeable roof and sides. Mount Pump and Chlorinator to slab. You must be able to gain access to your filter vale for backwashing and vacuuming also the Chlorinator should be very excessible for adding chemical. When it comes time to change sand or latterals you must also have access to top of sand filter. Keeping pump motor out of the rain is a must so you may wish to include conduit for elec to pump. With that said the next thing I would do is make sure it lets air circulate through it to keep pump motor cool. I would not be to concerned about the lines. They also make a craddle for the Chlorinator to mount on a flat surface.
Hope this helps

Keith Starosta
06-18-2007, 8:10 PM
I happen to be a Certified N.S.P.I. Tech II

First I would Listen to what was said about the Chlorine feeder being help by just the piping that is a no-no. I would Pour a concrete slab
maybe 4'x4' with some anchor bolts around perimiter and build frame to bolt to the slab with removeable roof and sides. Mount Pump and Chlorinator to slab. You must be able to gain access to your filter vale for backwashing and vacuuming also the Chlorinator should be very excessible for adding chemical. When it comes time to change sand or latterals you must also have access to top of sand filter. Keeping pump motor out of the rain is a must so you may wish to include conduit for elec to pump. With that said the next thing I would do is make sure it lets air circulate through it to keep pump motor cool. I would not be to concerned about the lines. They also make a craddle for the Chlorinator to mount on a flat surface.
Hope this helps

WOW!! :eek: Seems I have a bit more to think about than first expected. :rolleyes: Eugene, do you have an online source for that craddle? I'm surprised my pool installer didn't know to do any of this in the first place. The sand filter, pump motor, etc. are all sitting on a 2" thick heavy plastic slab (presumably made for this application), which sits directly on the ground. Is this not enough?

I have decided to go with the removable side and a hinged top. I just haven't settled on the size yet.

Thanks so far, guys!!

- Keith

Eugene A. Manzo III
06-21-2007, 12:21 AM
Hello Again

The skid is fine that the filter and motor are mounted on I just would get them both out of the weather. The Chlorinator looks to be a Hayward
unit and any Hayward dealer can order you the base if you give them the model number. Just remember to let the motor have some air flow and how you will do maintenance on the equipment in the future. Hope this helps