PDA

View Full Version : Another Victim to the Vortex - New Tools Gloat

Tim Malyszko
06-17-2007, 4:08 PM
On Saturday, I had quite the fun day at Woodcraft and walked out with a whole bunch of new Turning Accessories for my new Jet Lathe. I cannot pass up a 15% off Brown Bag Sale.:D

I am very new to turning and cannot wait to get started. Hopefully, work will settle down in another week or two, giving me some time to dive into my new Woodworking endeavor.

Here is what I purchased:

Jet 1014I Lathe With Stand.
Nova G3 Chuck with Insert
Face Shield
Diamond Dresser for Slow Speed Grinder
Multipack of abrasive Rolls for Pen Turning
Sorby Set of 6 Turning Tools
Wolverine Grinding Jig.In addition, I picked up a set of the Harbor Freight HSS Turning Chisels and a Sorby 3/8" Bowl Gouge from Rockler (I had a 25% off coupon and a $50 gift card from Rockler so my out of pocket cost for the Gouge was only $3.) Now, I need to make the decision on whether to keep the Sorby set or the HF set with the Sorby 3/8" gouge.

As of right now, I'm leaning towards keeping the HF and returning the Sorby Set for 2 main reasons. I've never sharpened a set of turning gouges before, so I would rather practice on a cheap set. In addition, I have HUGE hands and like the bigger handles that come with the individual Sorby tools over the Sorby Tools in the set of 6. The individual 3/8" bowl gouge I purchased feels better in my hands than the one that came with the Sorby set of 6. With that being said, I will probably return the Sorby Set and buy the ones with the bigger handles as I need them.

Anyway, if you have a different opinion on the turning gouges, please let me know.

I am also signed up for a 2 day turning class at Woodcraft and will be attending my first Woodturners of St. Louis meeting next weekend.

Thanks for helping me and my money into the vortex.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-17-2007, 4:41 PM
Tim........Welcome to the Vortex!

I'd practice sharpening on the cheaper HF set too!

Tools are a funny animal. I am a large guy and some of the tools don't fit my hand. Good tools are such an investiment that I'd buy ones that I felt were the most comfortable fit too!

Joining a turning club and taking lessons. Sounds like a pretty intelligent plan to me!

Enjoy the ride!

Bernie Weishapl
06-17-2007, 5:05 PM
Tim welcome to the black hole of turning. It looks like you have a great start. As Ken said enjoy the ride down. It is a lot of fun.

Steve Schlumpf
06-17-2007, 9:45 PM
Like Ken and Bernie already stated - Welcome to the Vortex! Looks like you have everything under control - just remember to have fun and post often with lots of pictures!

Charles Hannemann
06-18-2007, 8:25 PM
1642 jet, 3520B Powermatic mustard monster, or a 2436 Oneway Mayo. It part of the vortex.:cool: On tools check out the set of 8 on lee valley tools site. Check the video on the Oneway site for the wolverine.

Safe Turning

Don Orr
06-19-2007, 10:32 AM
Looks like you dove into the vortex head first from a high cliff:eek: :D ! You did very well with your
selections so far. As to the tools, that Sorby set is actually a very good beginner set with basic tools. You will use all of them which is unusual for a set. I might keep them to use after I learned to sharpen on the HF tools. The HF tools can be ground into different task-specific shapes when you find you need it. It's kind of funny, but I have fairly small hands but like a large, hefty handle on my tools. I think it helps with balance and control, even on fine details.

Club, lessons, books, videos, SMC-all good!!

YeeHaw-another vortex victim:D !

Bill Wyko
06-19-2007, 12:26 PM
Nice choices of tools. That should get you off to a running start. Welcome to the eternal vortex.:D

Keith Burns
06-19-2007, 1:17 PM
Tim, you are of to a great start for sure. Now you can count all future income spent !

TYLER WOOD
06-19-2007, 2:07 PM
I second keeping both sets. Practice on the HF set until you learn to sharpen, then regrind. Make use of all the tools and have specialty tools later on down the road. Congrats on the new purchases and welcome to the vortex! Can't wait to see you first pieces on your new toys.

Tom Sherman
06-19-2007, 2:17 PM
Tim welcome to the ranks of the dazed and confused, I would agree to keep both sets of tools, if the handles don't suit you they can be replaced later. Look forward to seeing some work come off your new toyl.

Kevin McPeek
06-20-2007, 1:23 PM
Look at that, already using your tablesaw like most turners do. Yeah, keep them all, its nice to be able to "try" a grind without doing it to a $100 bowl gouge. My HF set still gets used and has changed into a few different tools.

Mike Ramsey
06-20-2007, 2:31 PM
For sharpening bowl gouges I think you will find that you need to add the Var-Grind attachment to your Wolverine system...

Mark Cothren
06-20-2007, 2:49 PM
Way to go, Tim!!! You done good...:D

Frank Kobilsek
06-20-2007, 5:51 PM
Tim,
Welcome. As your wife may be wondering, the kids college fund is probably going to end up on the garage floor in the form of wood shavings. Some cool stuff will make the mantel so she'll be OK.

Keep the Sorbey set. Despite the handle issue I suspect you'll find they are sized right for the Jet mini lathe. Trust me, you'll buy plenty more tools in the next few months or years and then probably a new bigger lathe and ...

One of the best parts of turning is the WOW! you get from folks when you say 'yep I made that'

Frank

Jerry Pittman
06-20-2007, 6:07 PM
Tim,
Welcome to the 'Slippery Slope' of turning; there's no turning back from here, only more and bigger!
I agree with you on a 6 pc Sorby set from Woodcraft. I bought them at the same time I bought my Jet mini and find them a bit small. The main problem I have is that they don't fit into the jigs an my Jet wet grinder for sharpening because of the shortness. Your Wolverine set up should not have that problem.
Be prepared; the Jet is a great lathe for what it is but you'll want more before you wear it out. I started looking to upgrade after about 4 months. I bought the Jet because it fit nicely into my shop but now the shop is going to have to somehow accommodate a larger lathe in the near future.
Again, welcome.
Jerry

John Revilla
06-21-2007, 9:53 AM
Hi Tim,
I had the same "luck" last weekend. Jet mini, mask, Sorby tools, Oneway chuck, books, Jooltool and a LN #4. I'm totally new to turning or woodworking in general. Thanks for sharing your "new tools". Godspeed.

Keith Cope
06-21-2007, 10:09 AM
I'm confused--is it an abyss or a vortex?!??

Either way, looks like I'm right there with you! I've had an old Oliver for some time that I am on the verge of having up and running and then there's likely no hope for me either!

BTW, there's a fair chance that I'll see you Sunday...

Good luck!

Tim Malyszko
06-21-2007, 10:17 AM
BTW, there's a fair chance that I'll see you Sunday...

Keith,

I'll look out for you on Sunday. There is a chance that I may not be able to make it due to work. We are doing a HUGE project for one of our customers that is coming in Monday to check it out and we are under a huge time crunch. With that being said, I may have to work all day on Sunday.

I'm still going to try and break away for about 4 hours for the meeting, but the decision to will be last minute. If I don't make it, have fun at the meeting.

Ernie Nyvall
06-21-2007, 5:10 PM
Alright Tim!!! Good going.